Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Open Brain Coral Reproduction?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open Brain Coral Reproduction?
    Posted: July 25 2003 at 7:52am

Does anyone know how a brain coral reproduces?  I just got a sweet red metallic open brain, and I'm curious as to how they reproduce.  Binary fission?

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 8:51am
Sex.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 9:03am
wow, Jake, let's stick to the topic here.  There's other websites deticated to that topic.
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 9:10am

So is it not possible for them to be fragged?

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 9:49am

It is possible to "frag" them, but very risky.  Becuase the Trachyphyllia sp. (open brains) are usually made up of one large polyp you have to tear or cut the poylp in half to "frag" it.  Most of the time (at least in my experience) the polyp will quickly start to die after being "fragged".  Increased dosing of iodine seems to help, but I wouldn't recommend "fragging" a open brain.

Has anyone here had good success "fragging" and open brain?  If so please let us know.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 9:53am

Jake,

Is there two separate Genus' of Open Brains?  The guy that I bought this one from said it was a Wellsophyllia Radiata brain.

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 9:58am

Wellsophyllia is not commonly used anymore.  To quote Eric Borneman:

"Wellsophyllia is actually synonymous with (or possibly a separate species/subspecies of) Trachyphyllia"

and

"Trachyphyllia sp. is commonly collected and sold as Wellsophyllia radiata: a genus whose name is no longer officially recognized:"

IMO the correct identification (at least if he was right on the species) would be Trachyphyllia radiata.

Jake

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 10:01am

You can find these references in this article.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2002/feature2.htm

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 10:04am
Thanks for the clarification.  Based on the picture seen in my Rose BTA post, would you say that's Trachyphyllia radiata?
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 10:31am

Sean,

There are two described species under the genus Trachyphyllia (radiata & geoffroyi).  I would not even guess as to what species yours is.  They are very similar in appearance and often misidentified.  For all intents and purposes I would label it Trachyphyllia sp.

One more thing.  Trachyphyllias have been known to reproduce asexually by "budding".   There is an article by Anthony Calfo about it.  I will post a link if I find it.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 10:35am

The article is by Steven Pro and Anthony Calfo entitled "Fascinating Reproduction in Open Brain Coral: An Aquarium Report on Trachyphyllia geoffroyi".  You can find it here:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/trachyreproart.htm

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 10:48am
Thanks alot Jake.  I sure do appreciate it!
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 11:58am
No problem.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

jenjardu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenjardu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2003 at 10:54am
I have an open brain too and was interested in fragging it. I talked to Adam and he kinda talked me outa trying it but he said that you could koax it to spilt of reproduce asexually with out cutting the polyp by using a demill tool to grind shell part of the skeleton or the bottom of the brain. But he said that it could do one of three things either kill the brain (the most likely) fuse back together, or split and have the now two brains. But he said if you like it and want to keep don't try it.
By the way my brain has spawned once in the year and a half that I've had it. I happened to look over at my tank and watched it rappidly fold in half expelling it's seamen, or what ever you want to call that white stuff it blew out, everywhere. I was pretty excited my self after witnessing it. I didn't think I would ever get anything to spawn.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic