Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stray voltage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stray voltage
    Posted: March 17 2016 at 11:20pm
I checked for stray voltage on the tank (duncans are closed) as part of my tank troubleshooting and found my stay voltage to be 50V. Of course the ideal stray voltage would be 0, but knowing that most things give off some stay voltage, what is an acceptable level of stay voltage and when does it start negatively affecting livestock?
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 6:16am
My experience tells me anything above 20v and you are asking for trouble. At 50v you could even start feeling it when your hands is in the water. Turn everything off and then turn things on one at a time until you see the voltage jump. That will be your leaky device that should be replaced. A grounding probe would help as well.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 7:12am
Big tank or the smaller one? I've found that the worst offenders are the AC powerheads followed by the heaters.
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 8:16am
I saw you post earlier as was going to comment that Krazie is probably the only one crazy enough to know the specifics of what you are asking...
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
No, the blue lights at my house are not growing "pharmaceuticals"...
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 11:36am
It's coming from my light. How is it getting into the water? And yes, I have 1 fingernail cut too short and I can feel it on that sensitive skin there.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 3:11pm
It's flowing back to one of the other devices in contact with the water, probably through the power strip. Krazie, correct me if I'm wrong here.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 4:04pm
Oh, and it's on the 45 gallon.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2016 at 8:46am

What kind of light is it? Is the light fixture properly grounded?

Fluorescent lights create an induced voltage which is not harmful. It's kind of like static electricity from walking on carpet, noticeable but not usually harmful. Touching the reflector and the water at the same time makes an electrical circuit. Unfortunately, reflectors are not always well grounded.

There is always a difference in voltage, called "ground voltage", in my experience usually anywhere from 15-40 volts, but it has zero current(amps) so it's essentially harmless. A concern may be that the wall outlet or even the entire house is not properly grounded. This can be checked with a simple inexpensive hand held device that plugs in to the wall outlet/power strip. It's also good to make sure that the house electrical ground connection is good. It's usually a copper wire leading from near the outside electric meter to a probe in the ground or connected to a copper water pipe going into the ground. Check the screws, if present, securing the wire to make sure they are tight.

That's about all I know about it.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 19 2016 at 8:48am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2016 at 9:07am
The fixture is creating what's called a ground isolation voltage differential. This is due to something in the light fixture not being grounded properly  too the housing or the ground lug on the plug being corroded and not being able to ground the fixture properly.

It is getting to your tank by back feeding through one of the other devices connected to the same cord or power strip. If a power strip is used had it had water spilled on it before? This can corrode the internal ground in the power strip causing this type of feed back loop.

A good surge suppressing power strip should actually be tripping it's internal breaker at between 48-62 volts of differential.

A ground probe to a good ground source will also solve this and it's not  harmful to the power system.

My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic