Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drilling 1/2" Glass, looking for drill bits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
seti007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seti007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drilling 1/2" Glass, looking for drill bits
    Posted: March 21 2016 at 1:22pm
Hi Everyone, I'm trying to get back in to the hobby after a long absence and doing most of the setup as DIY. Currently, i need to drill four 1.5" holes and two 2" holes in half inch glass. Anyone have drill bits that I could borrow or know a source for cheap drill bits? Its been a long time since i drilled glass, so any pointers from ppl with experience drilling glass is welcomed.
Thanks

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic--Arthur C. Clarke
VdubReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 4:35pm
Ebay !! I got one that you could use but it's 1" I got mine for $6 shipped off ebay ,, if you go to Home Depot they won't have them that big also I'd be willing to help you drill them ? Is water in the tank ? Shoot me a text 801-688-3225 Jace
"He who is one with the sea"
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 6:48pm

would you mind taking pics of your progress? 

overflows/ plumbing/ etc.

I need to do this to my 125 eventually

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 6:43am
Yeah my project is finished ,, I'd be willing to help you even drill the glass for you,, I'll try to post pics,, I don't have a photobucket account,, however if you shoot me a text I will send you some !! It's honestly real easy,, just make sure you've got some water on a constant drip on the glass and bit,, and go slow, patients patients,, also make a 100% sure your glass isn't tempered !! Text me 801-688-3225 for my before and after photos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 6:52am
Also, my opinion I wouldn't use hard plumbing, I'd use the ultra flex PVC pipe http://m.marinedepot.com/products/ft1383/ultra-flex-pvc-pipe-tubing

That's what I used and it's nice if I need to take out my sump for maintaince or If I want to upgrade something, that way your not using a bunch of PVC unions,, and make sure you get the ULTRA FLEX,, it's wayyy more flexible and alottt easier to work with then regular flex !!!

I made my own overflow boxes from extra glass,, and make sure you drill an extra hole for an emergency overflow I used two regular overflows and one emergency ,, I think the ratio of 2 regular overflows to 1 emergency overflow would be a good rule of thumb depending on flow, can never hurt to add more of you wanted !!
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by VdubReefer VdubReefer wrote:

Ebay !! I got one that you could use but it's 1" I got mine for $6 shipped off ebay ,, if you go to Home Depot they won't have them that big also I'd be willing to help you drill them ? Is water in the tank ? Shoot me a text 801-688-3225 Jace
You get what you pay for, I wouldn't trust a $6 bit on my glass Tank.
Reef On Has a good selection of glass drill bits.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 4:25pm
I've drill over half a dozen tanks with that one bit !! Do buy into that get what you pay for bull****,, I say proof is in the pudding !!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 4:26pm
I've drilled over half a dozen tanks with that one bit !! Do buy into that. get what you pay for bull****,, I say proof is in the pudding !!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic