Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maxspect Gyre VS Vortech MP VS Jebao PP/RW

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maxspect Gyre VS Vortech MP VS Jebao PP/RW
    Posted: March 24 2016 at 4:13pm
I have been trying to do my research on both the Vortech MP 10 and the Maxspect Gyre 130 I have no idea which one i want to get? My tank is 42 gallon 30 X 18 X18.

Has anyone used both or had experiences with both? I'm looking for suggestions on which would be best for my tank.

Edited by scfurse77 - April 04 2016 at 2:49pm
CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 5:00pm
That's a tricky one! I run an MP10/MP40 on one tank, and two XF150/MP10 on another and I prefer the tank with the MP10/MP40.

However, I do not have much rock work in the gyre tank, and have a decent amount in the MP10 tank. 

Also, my MP10 tank is much taller than my gyre tank. I think the gyre is best suited for a tall tank, whereas, the MP seems more versatile for tall/short. 

I personally prefer the MPs because they communicate with each other and export the nutrients/crap from the bottom of the tank very well. The gyre moves a ton of water, but I find that it leaves giant puddles of nutrients on the floor (probably because the flow pattern is so wide versus funneled), versus smaller piles like the MP does.

I think even with one MP10, you will want something else on the other side of the tank to push the water back. The gyre on the other hand, it'll reach across the tank no problem. 

Bottom line, its a tough call in my opinion. You may find the best value in the gyre since it'll move a ton of water, but you will tinker around with moving it a ton. Also, I love how the gyre has a pause/feed mode and the MP does not, at least mine do not.

I probably made this worse. Hahaha.

Marcos

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 5:45pm
I have a 40g and have 2 MP10's on it. I tried the XF130 and I couldn't find a location that it wasn't blowing sand everywhere due to the 18" depth. I loved the flow from the XF130 and even with it connected to my Apex for control it was too much for that tank. 2 MP10s on it (one on the back wall and one on the side opposite the overflow) and it's great. Good flow, controllable, great pattern control and good nutrient export.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Marcoss Marcoss wrote:

That's a tricky one! I run an MP10/MP40 on one tank, and two XF150/MP10 on another and I prefer the tank with the MP10/MP40.

Yeah come on man. That isn't helping much LOL. 

For right now i probably only have the cash to get one MP 10 if i go that route. But i guess i could always add a second one later. That's the reason i just haven't bought the vortech yet, cause i was afraid it wasn't a good idea unless i bought 2. 
CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

I have a 40g and have 2 MP10's on it. I tried the XF130 and I couldn't find a location that it wasn't blowing sand everywhere due to the 18" depth. I loved the flow from the XF130 and even with it connected to my Apex for control it was too much for that tank. 2 MP10s on it (one on the back wall and one on the side opposite the overflow) and it's great. Good flow, controllable, great pattern control and good nutrient export.

thanks, it sounds like i should go vortech and just hope i can get by with one of them for awhile. 
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 10:39pm
One will still work like a champ! There are other pumps too, like Jebao. I don't have any experience with them but a ton of reefers love them and you can get two for the price of one MP10. More food for thought. I don't use a controller so I don't know if they are as advanced as Ecotech, but maybe worth looking into. Haha.

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 10:42pm
One last option...

scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 10:59pm

One will still work like a champ! There are other pumps too, like Jebao. I don't have any experience with them but a ton of reefers love them and you can get two for the price of one MP10. More food for thought. I don't use a controller so I don't know if they are as advanced as Ecotech, but maybe worth looking into. Haha.

Ya good point. I guess Jebao is worth a shot. i could just get 2 rw-4's. I just know what i'm doing now isn't ideal. I am getting flow but i just don't think a constant flow is what i need. I'm just running a hydor 800 gph and then the flow from my return. 
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 2:47pm

One last option...

Thanks Marcoss!

i took your advice and i cannot believe the difference it has already made. I went with the Jebao PP-4 just to try it out (For under $60 it was worth the try)  and figured i would run this with the Hydor that i already had. Anyways this thing is a quarter of the size of my Hydor and works MUCH better. I ended up taking the Hydor out and running the PP-4 by itself at 100% and my tank is happier than ever. I'm going to get another one just to even out the flow and that way i don't have to run it at 100%. I just keep it on wave mode and it makes some serious waves. Pretty crazy for it's size.

Also if anyone is interested they make a device for the Jebao's that lets you use your phone to program it wireless. After doing the research i'm going to be be getting one of these as well.

http://www.amazon.com/JBWave-Jebao-Wavemaker-Controller-Apple/dp/B00R6OQ7GE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A2484T4CYI3L4F
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 1:18pm
So glad to hear! You'll have to post some updated images of your tank!

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 3:41pm

Originally posted by scfurse77 scfurse77 wrote:

[The Jebao pp4] is a quarter of the size of my Hydor and works MUCH better.
I agree. For their cost, Hydor powerheads are pathetic.

Just in case anyone reading this is interested in the more economical side of this hobby, the Maxijet 1200 (~1300 gph) pushes 300 gph more than the Jebao pp 4 (~1000 gph) and costs only $20. Yep, just $20 online. I have developed a way to set up a 40 gal tank to run perfectly on just one Maxijet 1200 with plenty of turbulence/wave action throughout the entire tank. Smile This hobby can be done very well on a lot less money.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

This was one of the tanks of my coral farm. Note the turbulence of the surface water. The MJ1200 can be used to create the same turbulence for a display tank.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Except it doesn't have a variable speed controller and/or different wave modes and defiantly does not look as cool. For $58 and free shipping you can't beat that price.
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 5:19pm
Gyres are Jebao's are a piece crap. I've had to replace both my Gyres within the 6 month mark (warranty replacement) and I had 3 WP's and 2 of them broke after 1 year and the 3rd one I only had for 2 or 3 months and decided to just get rid of it.  Maybe I just have bad luck, but I would never buy a Gyre or Jebao again. 

Flow wise, I love the Gyres over my MP40's and MP60's, I just hate the cord in the water.  

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 5:43pm

Yeah that's true, but I have found that coral can do very well with just your basic laminar water flow. Dana Riddle and other hobby experts helped me learn about what coral really need and it's pretty simple, not as complicated as product marketing would make us believe.

I agree that Jebao pumps are a wiser purchase than Vortech.  Jebao can be placed low and pivoted on their mount to shoot diagonally up to the surface, a principle that revolutionizes the aquarium. Vortech are stationary, producing only horizontal flow, which is okay, but IMO not as good as the turbulence achieved when a good stream from below hits the water surface at a sharp angle. Smile

Jebao pumps also have one other feature that extends their versatility over MaxiJet, the magnet mount. Despite this limitation, I've found ways to make a MaxiJet stay in place. Actually, if it weren't for their amazing price, Maxijet would have been out of business years ago. Wink

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic