Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chocolate tang with a cloudy eye

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WaitForIt... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chocolate tang with a cloudy eye
    Posted: March 28 2016 at 1:36pm
Hey all,
Just came home to notice a cloudy eye on my only tang. It looks a little swollen, but not too terrible. He eats like crazy and grazes all day. What could this be and should I be worried?
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2016 at 2:35pm

When chocolate gets a little gray in spots it means it's getting old and needs to be eaten. Wink Put 'im on the BBQ. It may sound crazy but I had BBQ Yellow Eye Tangs at a wedding reception in Hawaii a few years ago. Mmmm tastes like fish.

Seriously though, it shouldn't be a problem and should go away on it's own, but just to check, what is it's environment like? As usual, I have several questions:

Can you show us a pic of the tank, please?

Also, you say it's grazing all day, on algae, I assume?

What kind of algae is presently growing in the tank?

Is there a Refugium with Macroalgae?

What supplemental food is it being fed and does it periodically get this additive in the food? I'd add that every other day for the next week to help the fish fight off any issues, like infection, etc.

This could become Pop-Eye for which there is no absolute remedy except what seems to help is a healthy, stress free environment with plenty of good natural food.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 28 2016 at 2:49pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
WaitForIt... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2016 at 2:43pm
I'll upload some pics soon. Just checked the water parameters and everything looks good. I have a fuge with chaeto and caleurpa growing, but nothing in the main tank. I drop garlic on the food every day, but I don't use the garlic from the thread, just a garlic oil extract I found online
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic