Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is your tank consuming in 1 day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 10:22am

Is this safe as a magnesium supplement? Seems a little daunting to use things that arent specifically marked for aquariums.
Here we go again
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 10:44am
No, Epsom salts for magnesium.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 3:06pm

Yes, it is daunting but by asking this question, you have entered a larger world. Smile Personally I love this stuff; the technical aspects of this hobby. When I first found out that Alkalinity was simple baking soda and washing soda that we can buy at the grocery store and make ourselves and that it was pure enough to use in my tanks, I thought it was really cool and it still is Cool.

Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) is the chemical that we use for Calcium and Magnesium Chloride is what we use for Magnesium, as well as Epsom Salt (MgSO4), but we don't really want them mixed together since we use different amounts of each. The bags/bottles we find that indicate they are like 99.5% pure are what we want to use.

Potassium Chloride (KCl2)is a salt our tanks need but only a very small amount.

Of course, Sodium Chloride is regular table salt. Tongue

I think it's a 3 lb. bag of Epsom Salt I get at Walmart for about $2

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 08 2016 at 3:13pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Bryce Bryce wrote:

Ionic balance...change 10% of your water every so often with a balanced salt, that or dump your money into these "balanced additives" then double dump it down the drain when you do a water change, of course we are all free to do what we want and have our own opinions and two people can certainly be right...most of mine I stole from Randy Holmes Farley. In 4 years my heavy sps dominate tank which Mark linked to appears to be just fine with just soda ash and calcium.

Even RHF used a mix of MgCl2 and MgSO4 with the CaCl2/Na2CO3... But it's refreshing to see how well your tank is doing.  Perhaps it really just doesn't matter?

Mark, why is KCl important?
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 8:05pm
I have no issues with mag, I've just never had to dose it as water changes maintain it in my tank but again each tank is different, personally I feel a lot of reefers dose it too much and run it too high, it's one that shows its lack of a high enough level very quickly as your alk and cal bind together and precipitate out and you see it via cloudy water, and white build up on pumps or heaters as the alk and cal bind and are not in the tank at a high enough level to keep the alk and cal from doing that, again every tank is different and if you are testing, know your levels, know generally what your levels should be then dosing just the chemicals you need is fine, my comment was only aimed at the less informed who feel you need those expensive pre-mixed additives when in fact you most likely don't, now choosing to with the knowledge it isn't needed is totally acceptable as mixing it up can be a pain haha (I know I don't like it), I just remember how drastically my maintenance costs dropped when I started mixing my own and truly understanding what chemicals I was trying to maintain and why and what they did (understanding why one would dose sodium bicarbonate vs sodium carbonate vs a mix of the two and the impact on ph) and how they were being depleted or supplemented by my tank and maintained or depleted by other routine maintenance I was doing such as water changes, running various media, etc.
65g Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 8:40pm
Jon, I actually don't know what KCl helps with, maybe color, I just know it is listed as one of the salts included in Kent Coral-Vite, a product I use when I'm farming coral.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic