Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Skimmer.Too many bubbles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kromlech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kromlech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Skimmer.Too many bubbles
    Posted: April 09 2016 at 4:56pm
Hello all,

So i just picked up a Bubble Magus Curve 7 today. Reviews I've read are pretty good. Now I know that every skimmer has its break-in period, and perhaps that is the reason for my problem. But the skimmer is creating way to many bubbles. So much in fact that it is in a constant state of overflowing. I bought some egg crate and put it under the skimmer, and while that did help to stop the entire skimmer from overflowing its still flowing into the cup quite steadily. (skimmer has a drain hose on bottom of collection cup, flowing back into the sump.) My sump is 11 deep, but skimmer is sitting at about 6 1/2 - 7 inches deep. and the top of the collection cup is about an inch from the bottom of my tank. Skimmer water flow valve on skimmer is all the way open. I am not sure what else to do to try and stop this problem. Maybe I am being to hasty in seeing the bubbles settle down... I don't know.

Fairly new to the hobby as well so any amount of help would be appreciated.
50.3 AIO Waterbox
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 5:11pm
Is there an airline coming out of the silencer but going into the water versus the air?

Also- is the return water submerged or above water?
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Kromlech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kromlech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 5:53pm
so there is an airline going from a silencer to a valve connected to the pump. the return water is submerged.
50.3 AIO Waterbox
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 5:54pm
I run the curve 5 and I let mine run bubbling over and fierce about 12 hours it calmed down. It took about 2 weeks before it was fully broke in. It was skimming within 2 days bit nothing to great. Worst part was bubbles in my display. All is well and it's a beast of a skimmer.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Kromlech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kromlech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 6:01pm
http://imgur.com/rti4mLN that is a picture of the skimmer before I put it into the tank.
50.3 AIO Waterbox
Kromlech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kromlech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2016 at 1:15pm
Well 24 hours later and its still overflowing like a beast!
50.3 AIO Waterbox
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 4:30pm
Sorry for the delay. The valve should probably not be open all the way. You just want the water to barely come up to the neck of the cup. You don't want it overflowing beyond that. 

This image is helpful; is your water rising beyond that squiggly line?

http://www.thereeftank.com/gallery/files/2/7/2/8/8/skimmer_level_examples_2.jpg

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Kromlech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kromlech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 7:16am
Well it mellowed out. I am producing Skimmate now and I am just dialing it down now to get the quality of skimmate I want. thanks all!
50.3 AIO Waterbox
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 11:24am
Love my curve 5! Looks like you had the same "break in" experience I did.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic