Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

flood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
camarolover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camarolover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flood
    Posted: April 16 2016 at 10:54am
I am such a slow learner, this has happened before because of a stuck float valve. Long story short, I am moving and I put a slow drip into my tank to top it off and I walked away. Went today and the basement is flooded. I sucked up around 100 gallons before I had to go to work. I don't know how low the salt level is but it is closer to fresh than salt. How fast can I raise the salt level up without doing more damage? I only have a clown and and other fish as well as some Zoes, candy canes and a few other softes. It is a 65 gallon tank with a 50 gallon sump and both are over the top!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camarolover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 11:14am
I even have a alarm for the new tank as well as a factory made ATO that will go on the new setup. I just didn't want to set it up on this tank to pull it done in a few weeks. As far as the corals could I just put them in a tank with good water or will that do more damage?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 1:17pm
I've done this. I quickly put the salt back up. It worked well. Like just dumped salt by the return pump.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camarolover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 10:32pm
thanks that is what I am doing. I just don't want to go too far the other way.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 12:56am
I agree with Adam.
In my experience, these animals can withstand a wide range of salinity, especially if it changes relatively gradual, but if it's gone down closer to fresh water, the best way to help our salt water pets is to raise it even more quickly than it dropped, to a point.

Frankly, if it were me, I'd check the salinity to see how alarmed I should be at what had happened. I would also check it every time after each cup of salt was poured over the return pump intake screen after giving it a couple minutes to mix in the tank. I'd probably start off fast and then slow down. When salinity was around 1.015 I'd be raising it more gradual than if it was showing 1.005.

Kind of like if a sealed room ran out of O2, I'd waste no time getting some O2 back into the room, but not fill it up with O2 all at once because that could risk some kind of shock. Am I right? Anybody?

Aloha,
Mark  
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 7:27am
When I've done this I measured the salinity, added up the water volume, calculated the needed salt, measured the salt, and put it all in.
Took less than five minutes.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic