Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acan won't open

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jdubb925 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdubb925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acan won't open
    Posted: April 17 2016 at 4:35pm
I purchased two different types of Acan's about a week and a half ago. Since then neither of the frags have opened up. All other fish and coral are doing great. I tried spot feeding them to see if that would help out at all....still nothing. I have them on my sandbed as they acclimate to the light. Any ideas or suggestions?
Justin W.

jdubb925 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdubb925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 4:36pm
Also as of Yesterday all water parameters are exactly where I would hope for them to be.
Justin W.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 5:16pm
Like many sensitive coral, Acanthastrea can thrive in one tank and never grow in another tank. These are the questions I would ask:
What parameters have been tested and what are the numbers? 
Was the water tested for PO4? 
Is AC being used? How much and how often is it replaced?
What is the water flow in that area? 
What coral is upstream and how close is it? 
What kind of lighting were they under and what is the lighting in your tank?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 17 2016 at 5:17pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 5:24pm
Not trying to be a ****- but I assume these are lords? Echinatas and others do not really inflate. I have some acans that hardly inflate. I'll post a pic later. I think it's because they are so tight on the colony that they barely open up. They look more like a micromussa.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
jdubb925 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdubb925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 8:55pm
Yes they are Lords.

In my hurry this week I didn't write down my test results. I am testing ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, calcium, phosphates, alkalinity,Ph and salinity. I usually compare against http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/ and as of Saturday nothing raised any alarms. Temp is currently at 73. AC is being used in a "reactor" I use 3/4 of a cup and replace every other week. Upstream is two different types of Palythoa. Flow is about medium to low in that area. I am currently using a single AI hydra for lighting running at 20% I back it off to 10% and ramp back up to 20% over two weeks to acclimate the corals. Let me know if I missed anything.

Edited by jdubb925 - April 17 2016 at 8:55pm
Justin W.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 8:16am
Very good, thanks.
I agree with Marcoss.

The other questions I would ask myself if I were trying to figure this out are:
3/4 cup AC for what size tank? 
How long has the tank been set up and running?
What lighting were these coral under in the tank they came from?
How close are the Palythoa, upstream of the Acans?
A pic of this tank and a closeup pic of the coral always helps.

It's great that you are a paid WMAS Member. Sorry if I seem overbearing to ask so many direct questions. In my first couple years in the hobby I kept a written log of the parameters I was testing. Way back then there was nobody around to whom we could take test results and receive a knowledgeable solution, even the LFS. We were on our own. We formed the WMAS to help each other keep a better reef aquarium. Smile It's been useful and a lot of fun.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 18 2016 at 8:18am
jdubb925 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jdubb925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 11:17am
Hi Mark,

The total system volume is 55g. I used the BRS calculator to determine how much AC to use.

Tank has been running about 3 months now. They were previously under Led's (maxspect razor I believe)

The Palys are about 5 inches upstream from the acans.

I will try to grab some pictures when I get home tonight. Also I find you in no way to be overbearing. I ask because I want advice, and I expect questions to come from that so ask away. I usually keep a VERY detailed journal of all maintenance/changes/tests etc I just didn't do it this week. Which of course according to Murphys's law is the week something goes wrong....
Justin W.

scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 11:25am

For me it was just as simple as changing the flow. I know every tank and Acan are different. But mine close up when i have my flow set too low.

Edited by scfurse77 - April 19 2016 at 1:22am
CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 2:53pm
Yeah my acans are in a pretty good stream of movement too.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 4:11pm

I agree with Jackie and Steve. Thumbs Up

Flow is an easy thing to change.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic