Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CerMedia MarinePure Biolfilter Media

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CerMedia MarinePure Biolfilter Media
    Posted: April 18 2016 at 1:31pm
Does any one use the CerMedia MarinePure Biolfilter Media? 

aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 1:38pm
I do. I love it. I use it to minimize, or I guess, maximize, the amount of rockwork I have. 
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 8:41pm

I think a marine hobbyist ought to be careful when using this product. It should not be placed where water splashes over or through it. This would tend to make it reduce Ammonia and Nitrite, but to over-produce Nitrate, becoming in essence the Nitrate Factory we often talk about.

If it's purpose is to substitute for LR, I believe it should be fully submerged and left alone(almost never rinsed) to enable growth of a complete bacterial biofiltration, where bacterial action can also do the third and final part of the biofiltration process; breaking up Nitrate into Nitrogen gas and water. This manner of use should enable the same process I often describe occurring in 1) the deeper levels of a deep sand bed, 2) a shallow sand bed of Oolitic Sand and 3) a well lit crop of algae.

Marcoss, and anyone else do you agree or disagree? Please shed some light on this for me.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2016 at 3:09am
Its a great product and a great way to increase surface area for filtration without crowding your tank with extra rock.  For example the 8" by 4" block claims to have a surface area of 23,000ft squared. The small spheres are great for additional surface area and help in processing nitrates, and the census on the larger blocks are that they are big enough to provide anaerobic zones for de-nitrifying bacteria.  
Im am currently using this media in a nano tank as the primary source of biological filtration as the tank has little to no live rock.  
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2016 at 4:10pm
Mark,

I am confused about this comment:

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

...It should not be placed where water splashes over or through it. This would tend to make it reduce Ammonia and Nitrite, but to over-produce Nitrate, becoming in essence the Nitrate Factory we often talk about.

I treat my MarinePure as live rock; I blast it as I blast other rocks in my tank. Since I treat it as rock, I am not sure why they would be a nitrate factory. My nitrates are usually pretty low, around 20 PPM before a water change, considering I feed way too much. Even in an area of low flow, I still do not see how anything would get into the the tiny pours, that is not beneficial. 

Can you elaborate? I am newer to this media...
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2016 at 5:44pm

I suspect the misunderstanding arises because I didn't give enough information. Many hobbyists have not heard of the old wet-dry or trickle filter system that typically uses bioballs or other small media and may use a filter pad to catch detritus. These media and pads are located in the sump. Tank water drains down and splashes over/through the media allowing the water to become saturated with O2. Oxygen loving Bacteria living on this media process Ammonia and Nitrite into Nitrate. Because there is no area where O2 is near zero Nitrate cannot be broken down. These are what we call "Nitrate Factories".

The manufacturer speaks of using their MarinePure in fresh and salt water aquaria in different applications, including treating it as LR. They even make rock-like pieces. It's their thin blocks used in well oxygenated water in a HOB or canister filter or even setting the MarinePure next to the drain in the sump that could turn it into a Nitrate Factory. 

I just thought it would be good to point out the physics of it and the best use of it in a reef aquarium; using it just like Marcoss seems to be using it. Thumbs Up

Hope that helps.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 19 2016 at 5:58pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 1:21pm
Mark,

That makes sense. I could see how that would cause issues. Thanks for the history.

Marcos

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic