Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bubbles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bubbles
    Posted: April 20 2016 at 7:32am

I have this little 12 gallon jbj that I picked up for free. Got it all set up and started adding some goodies to it. Everything is doing well but the pump keeps pushing air bubbles.. The pump is full submerged and I cant figure out why it is blowing air. I cleaned the impeller and the magnets thinking maybe it was starting and stopping by that did nothing. The all in one has three chambers, first chamber I have a sponge to work like a sock and catch all the crap, second is full of rubble rocks and shells and the last chamber has my pump and a bag of media.

Thoughts? Suggestions??

getting fishy??
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 7:34am
The pump being used is a maxijet
getting fishy??
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 7:41am
Is there a water fall from one of the chambers to the next?  Try filling the chambers all the way to the top with water and see if the bubbles go way.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 11:19am
I agree with Kevin.
Also, a pinhole leak in the plumbing can suck air into the return line as the water rushes past. Usually creates micro bubbles. Check all connections to make sure they are tight and/or submerged.

FYI, if you find Nitrates higher than expected, I recommend removing the sponge. It breaks down Ammonia and Nitrite into Nitrate but cannot do anything about breaking down the Nitrate. The bottom of the sand bed and the interior of LR are the places where Nitrate is broken down. Oh, a small growth of Caulerpa also helps eats Nitrate, adds color and movement. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 4:35pm
All chambers are full.. Good info on the sponge. Thanks mark.
getting fishy??
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 4:36pm
I am going to check the lines for leaks tomight
getting fishy??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic