Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great Reef in [less than] 7 days

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Reef in [less than] 7 days
    Posted: April 28 2016 at 5:00pm
Set up a new 29 gal tank for my friend. It starts using the Affordable Reef Aquarium, Reefkeeping method found in the Reefkeeping Tips thread below in my signature line:

- clean new Utah Oolitic Sand

- different sizes of clean but previously used larger particle and crushed coral sand

- a little Live Sand(LS)

- several pieces of live rock(LR) with many animals and algae attached

- Caulerpa Macroalgae on the LR

- Soft Coral: Green Sinularia, Mushroom Leather, Zoanthids and Xenia

Circulation is a Maxijet 1200 powerhead sitting on the sand in the back center pushing a stream of water straight up.

Lighting is a black box LED with Blue-red ON at ~25% from about 8AM to 9PM and White-green On ~20% from about 9AM to 8PM.

All of the above, I set up in one hour last Friday (4/22). Came back on Tuesday to check it out, add more LS and pieces of LR. Upon arrival, the water was clear and all the coral were fully hydrated and looking great. The Xenia was pulsing happily. The additional LR was then added first because adding LS makes the water cloudy again from bacteria laden detritus floating around. That clears up by settling out on surfaces within a couple hours. I'm sure it looks great now. I need to take a pic when I next see it, to share with y'all.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 28 2016 at 5:44pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 11:30pm
Pictures or it didn't happen!

Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Lope Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lope Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 8:09am
Most impressive Mark!

Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes
Rivers always reach the sea
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 8:55am
I rushed a tank a couple weeks ago, lost a couple nice colonies. Totally underestimated the bacteria growth time. Give it a couple weeks, it's worth the time for caution.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 12:23pm

When I'm able to get pics up, it won't blow anyone away. Like Adam said, adding coral should not be rushed unless those coral are expendable. Softies only, no LPS coral for a couple weeks or more, watching and waiting until the biological processes catch up. SPS need even more time, like 2 months minimum.

Bacterial and algal populations grow fast but not as fast as we would hope. Repeating what I wrote in the Reefkeeping Tips thread, the more LS, LR and Macroalgae is put in to a new tank, the sooner it will be ready for a population of fish and more delicate coral. I'm planning to add a mob of Shaun's young Clownfish to this tank. That will create a lot of waste so I'm going to wait another week, at least, and before I do, I will ensure the Macroalgae is on a growth fast track.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 4:19pm
Mark,

Did you use a sump, or is it just a standard 29g? Are you using any type of filter on it with carbon?

I'd love to see pictures.

-Tim
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic