Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BillyC IM Nuvo 30

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BillyC IM Nuvo 30
    Posted: May 03 2016 at 9:47am
Turns out I couldn't stay away from the hobby for too long. I took a two year break after parting out my 120g mixed reef and, although the break was refreshing, I'm very excited to be back. I have been lurking on the forums for a few weeks now and waiting for my equipment shipments to arrive. 

My goal is to keep this setup as automated as possible so I can just sit back and enjoy it. Also with the tank being in our main living area, I'm trying to make equipment as "clean" as possible. As far as corals, I have always been a fan of the "nightclub LSD look" with super bright corals popping under LEDs, so finding the right pieces will be fun. 

This is the Innovative Marine Nuvo 30. It is an all-in-one tank which is new to me but looks promising. 

Neptune Apex Controller: With wanting automation and customization, a controller is a must. 

Eheim Jager TruTemp Heater: This got pretty good reviews but there is another heater I may switch to.

Ecotech Radion XR30w Light: Love all the custom colors and programs available with LEDs, not to mention the royal blues when I feel like staring at corals. I may swap upgrade this to a newer Radion in the future.

Jebao WP-10 Powerhead: Read great reviews on this pump and it is controllable with my Apex.

BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 9:58am
IM Minimax Desktop Reactor: Picked this up used from a member and fits perfectly in the rear chamber. Plan on running either carbon or biopellets. Gotta do more research...

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt: People on other forums swear by this salt so I'll give it a try. 

Carib-Sea Fiji Pink: It's weird to call sand beautiful, but it is. Hopefully this live sand speeds up my tank cycle. 

I picked up about 20lbs of live rock a local who was tearing down his tank. It was completely covered in purple coralline and the only hitchhikers I could see were micro tube worms, which I think are awesome. No pictures of the rock but I will update later with pictures of our aquascape. 
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 10:10am
Annnnnnnnnd He's back! Love the tank, love the Apex, Love the Radion, Love the rw-10 (that is going to be a ton of flow in a 30), Love the salt. I would go with the Titanium heater. I give 6 months before it's drilled and has a sump.

And just in time for the reef tour!

Welcome back Billy!

Edited by Krazie4Acans - May 03 2016 at 10:11am
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 10:33am
Glad your back!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 5:38pm
Glad to see you back! That wp-10 will be a ton of flow! I have an RW-4 on my cadlights 42 and have to have it on the lowest setting.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 9:54pm
Ah man, clearfield now?

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Annnnnnnnnd He's back! Love the tank, love the Apex, Love the Radion, Love the rw-10 (that is going to be a ton of flow in a 30), Love the salt. I would go with the Titanium heater. I give 6 months before it's drilled and has a sump. 

And just in time for the reef tour! 

Welcome back Billy!

Thank you! As much as I'd like a sump with a refugium and more water volume, I am really enjoying the simplicity. (At least that's what I say now, right?)

Originally posted by Hogie Hogie wrote:

Glad your back!

Hey bro! Good to hear from you.

Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Glad to see you back! That wp-10 will be a ton of flow! I have an RW-4 on my cadlights 42 and have to have it on the lowest setting.

Hey Jackie long time! I had my doubts about the WP-10 but after playing around with placement I'm loving it. I just bought the adapter to be able to run it off of my controller. 

Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Ah man, clearfield now?

Adam

Yes, sir! We bought our first home here in Clearfield a couple years ago.

Edited by BillyC - May 05 2016 at 11:38am
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 11:44am
Tank has been running/cycling for about 2-3 weeks so I'm trying to catch up on posting my progress. This was the aquascape we chose. I like the minimalist look and my wife's only requirement was a cave for the fish to swim through so we're both happy. 

Hard to see with this picture but I'll add more later today. 

Edited by BillyC - May 05 2016 at 11:46am
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 11:52am
And with the sand dumped in...

reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 11:54am
check out neurotivity's IM nano for automation inspiration
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
neurotivity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 12:08pm
My setup is very similar! I'm running a Nuvo Fusion 20 with a XR30W Pro Gen 3, Neptune Apex w/lab grade probes, Neptune DOS, MP10wQD, dual Mame Skimmers, Sicce Syncra 1.5 return, Cobalt Neo-Therm 75w and a Tunze Nano ATO. 

I can leave for a week without a sitter, come home and my tank still looks super happy! (:

I have my MP10 dialed two dots from max capacity on Reef Crest and I still feel like I need another on the other side... Crazy right?

Edited by neurotivity - May 05 2016 at 12:18pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 12:12pm
Now following Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 12:15pm
One of the first things I would do is upgrade the return if you haven't already. The Sicce Syncra 1.5 or even the 2.0 would be perfect and they're virtually silent.

Edited by neurotivity - May 05 2016 at 12:16pm
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 1:04pm

Ah man, clearfield now?

Adam

And I don't mind him being so close one single bit! Saves me travel time to go stare at all the glowing stuff he puts in his tank.

My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by neurotivity neurotivity wrote:

One of the first things I would do is upgrade the return if you haven't already. The Sicce Syncra 1.5 or even the 2.0 would be perfect and they're virtually silent.

Great advice haha! I had actually upgraded to the 1.0 because I'm weird and like the idea of water sitting in the filter chambers a LITTLE bit longer. And I personally don't care how much my return pump contributes to flow in the tanks. I would have loved to get a mp10wqd like you but the budget didn't allow it right now. I work in SLC and I'd love to check out your setup sometime. I'll PM ya. 

Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Ah man, clearfield now?

Adam

And I don't mind him being so close one single bit! Saves me travel time to go stare at all the glowing stuff he puts in his tank.

LOL. I've added a couple "glowing" pieces that were on my "buy-ASAP" list. I'll post pics as catch up on this thread. 

Edited by BillyC - May 05 2016 at 1:41pm
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 9:46am
Welcome back Billy!!! It will be fun to see how you pimp this tank out. I have a feeling it will be one of the best looking nanos around!
Call or Text (801)834-3119
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 10:41am
The real question is how long till it's full and you want a bigger tank. I say 8 months.
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Trevor40 Trevor40 wrote:

Welcome back Billy!!! It will be fun to see how you pimp this tank out. I have a feeling it will be one of the best looking nanos around!

Thanks bro. I still remember the first time I saw your biocube like 5 years ago and I couldn't believe all those weird colorful things were alive. That's when I knew I wanted to do a reef tank. Then I drove like 2 hours to buy a crappy 55g setup with a siphon overflow. That guy hooked me up with my first coral ever which were brown palys and you told me they were cool even though they weren't. So many memories Cry!
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Hogie Hogie wrote:

The real question is how long till it's full and you want a bigger tank. I say 8 months.

We are planning on buying a bigger home sometime in the next two years. With that in mind, I will most probably wait for the new house to upgrade. This nano hopefully will be enough to keep me busy. =)
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 11:41am
By the way, the reason I can set up this nano is because my son outgrew his time-out box. 

And this was water going in. I had not received my return pump yet and was anxious to get the cycle going so don't mind the heater randomly in the display. And I also did not have enough water to fill the whole tank. It was a ghetto start. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic