Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BillyC IM Nuvo 30

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 11:42am
Originally posted by BillyC BillyC wrote:

Originally posted by Hogie Hogie wrote:

The real question is how long till it's full and you want a bigger tank. I say 8 months.

We are planning on buying a bigger home sometime in the next two years. With that in mind, I will most probably wait for the new house to upgrade. This nano hopefully will be enough to keep me busy. =)

You're already thinking about a bigger tank...you're not going to make it 8 months.
neurotivity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 8:00am
I was going to text you this pic I took last night... Anyways here's some Monday morning inspiration (:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 8:05am
Here are some pics of my Fusion 20 taken several months ago (:

BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 10:05am
Oakley your tank looks awesome, we definitely have similar styles. Here's a pic of my last tank (120g) and I'm going for a similar look. 

[/URL]
Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 10:19am
Welcome back Billy!!!!
http://zip-zero.com/wmas/imageUpload.php

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 1:23pm
That's awesome Billy! I love the scoly collection, it makes me want to find a nice master scoly now.
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2016 at 2:18pm
The Sicce syncra 1.0 return pump had arrived and I was able to get water in the tank. I made a huuuuge rookie mistake for the first few days of the cycle. I used saltwater (purchased) that I assumed would be an appropriate salinity. When I got a refractometer a few days later, I realized my salinity was 1.012, so my mistake for not checking and it probably killed off a lot of beneficial bacteria. Surprisingly though, the micro tube worms in the LR were out and about seeming happy. 

Don't mind the awkward wire from the apex and cable hanging from the light. Those will be organized too. 
[/URL]

I took the next day to set up the controller and organize some wires using a mounting board. I'm using a Netgear wireless adapter so I can control my tank from anywhere in the world and get alerts if things are going wrong. 
[/URL]

I setup my Tunze ATO which goes through the wall into the pantry where I have a 15g tub of RO water. The tank is evaporating about a quart a day which means I can just leave my tank alone for a pretty long time. 
[/URL]

Edited by BillyC - May 11 2016 at 2:22pm
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2016 at 2:43pm
Nice, hope you have better luck with the netgear wireless adapter I have now had two fail and a wired one:/
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2016 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Nice, hope you have better luck with the netgear wireless adapter I have now had two fail and a wired one:/

Jackie,

That's weird. I have had mine for 3 years now with no problems since I got a legitimate internet connection.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2016 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Trevor40 Trevor40 wrote:

Jackie,

That's weird. I have had mine for 3 years now with no problems since I got a legitimate internet connection.

yeah i don't know what the deal is and my hubby knows a ton about that stuff but I guess they just don't like me.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 10:21am

So far so good! Zero connectivity issues and I hope it stays that way.
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 10:32am
Almost a week into the cycle, the ammonia became undetectable so I added a percula clownfish (bought from a member in this forum) and continued to dose Seachem Stability to help establish bacterial colonies. The clown did a great job at boosting the cycle and ammonia/nitrite was again undetectable even after a couple days of not dosing Stability. My daughter loved having Nemo at home. (If you have small children and don't let them call you clownfish Nemo, you're just angry.)

You can see the start of an ugly green algae and brown diatom bloom in the first pic. Gross. I didn't take anymore pics until after that cleared up.

[/URL]
[/URL]
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 10:49am
I did TONS of research on nano skimmers and needed one that fit these criteria:

1. Super quiet; I hate that whistling/bubbling noise
2. Powerful skimming: I've always believed in very powerful skimming
3. Size: It had to fit in a rear chamber. HOB skimmers were out of the question since they do not jive with the "clean" look i'm going for. 

After reading countless reviews and watching user videos, etc, I chose the Tunze 9004 and I couldn't be happier. 

I never imagined that nano skimmers could actually do much but this bad boy went to work right away. I would recommend this skimmer to any nano reefer. 
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 3:09pm
I have always been a skeptic about NANO protein skimmers since I have had a less that good experiences with the one I had on my Nano. It required a lot of maintenance and barely even worked.

That one looks like it's doing a fine job!Good to know there is a decent option out there is I set up a smaller tank again.

Edited by Trevor40 - May 16 2016 at 3:09pm
Call or Text (801)834-3119
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 7:22pm
Loved my tunze skimmer when I had my nano. Looking good!
Jackie Stuver

BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Trevor40 Trevor40 wrote:

I have always been a skeptic about NANO protein skimmers since I have had a less that good experiences with the one I had on my Nano. It required a lot of maintenance and barely even worked.

That one looks like it's doing a fine job!Good to know there is a decent option out there is I set up a smaller tank again.
Yea I was super skeptical at first. Reviews talked about a "break-in" period, and water level problems, etc, etc but this thing has started skimming heavy right away. 

Loved my tunze skimmer when I had my nano. Looking good!

Thanks Jackie. You have the nicest nano I've seen recently. 
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 12:40pm
Jawbreaker mushroom. I knew this was a must-have for my tank, and a perfect "tester" because of how hardy mushrooms are. I'm working on taking pictures of my other additions but haven't had a chance to pull out the nice camera. 

Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 12:46pm
Where'd you pick up your shroom? (bty I still have the one I bought from you when you shut down!)
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 12:51pm
You do?!?! Did you buy anything else from me? I've been trying to track down stuff. This particular one I bought from Aquatic Dreams.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by BillyC BillyC wrote:

You do?!?! Did you buy anything else from me? I've been trying to track down stuff. This particular one I bought from Aquatic Dreams.

I have a baby (with a baby) from that same colony. :)

No I'm not talking about that aiptasia in your picture

Edited by Krazie4Acans - May 18 2016 at 12:55pm
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic