Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BillyC IM Nuvo 30

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

I have a baby (with a baby) from that same colony. :)

No I'm not talking about that aiptasia in your picture

Hey! lol. That's actually a mini tube worm! Unfortunately all the tube worms are now gone due to one of my new fish ;)
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by BillyC BillyC wrote:

You do?!?! Did you buy anything else from me? I've been trying to track down stuff. This particular one I bought from Aquatic Dreams.

Just that and JF Jack-o-lantern. What I wanted was that gold torch you had! That thing was awesome.

Edited by Hogie - May 18 2016 at 1:32pm
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 8:14pm
For the last week or so my tank has been consuming approximately 0.8 dkh of alkalinity each day. I have only had a couple tiny stony corals so I'm blaming the thick purple coraline algae on the love rock for sucking up the alkalinity. I've never used Kalkwasser but I've always heard amazing things about it so I filled my ATO reservoir with 10g of 1/2 potency limewater (1tsp/gal). I'll have to keep an eye on my pH and parameters to adjust kalk concentration as needed.

Do any of you Kalkwasser gurus have any advice for a kalk newbie?
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 10:12pm
Kalkwasser is going well these last few days. It's definitely keeping my ph between 8.2-8.3, even at night.

Doug at Birdworld hooked me up with the other 2 corals on top of my list (he has a ton of cool Frags if you haven't stopped by lately). My favorite zoas of all time, Rastas. They're a classic, super bright, and you can't beat the color combo IMO. this frag started off as 3p and now I'm up to 7p so things are going well.

Space invader pectinia. This is a terrible pic but can't believe how this thing glows.

Also added a Valentini Puffer. This guy has more personality than my dog. They are not considered reef safe because they are known to eat snails, hermits, clams, and sometimes coral. After lots of research, I took a chance and he's by far my favorite fish I've ever owned. He munched on a single nassarius snail but hasn't touched any other CUC (although it's still no guarantee forever). He started off eating but fairly skinny at the fish store. Now he's a pig with a potbelly starting.

Edited by BillyC - May 21 2016 at 6:11am
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 8:04am
Following. Things look to be coming together nicely so far. Can't wait for the full tank shot.
Here we go again
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 9:38am
I had a Valentini Puffer for a few months.  It killed a lot of snails.  The problem I had is the puffer wouldn't eat the entire snail, the snail would rot away some place behind a rock or where I couldn't see it.  They do have personality though, but I won't have another.  
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2016 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by LakeCityReefs LakeCityReefs wrote:

Following. Things look to be coming together nicely so far. Can't wait for the full tank shot.

Thanks! I'm trying to figure out camera settings on my Nikon for a good full tank shot. 

Originally posted by Chevmaro Chevmaro wrote:

I had a Valentini Puffer for a few months.  It killed a lot of snails.  The problem I had is the puffer wouldn't eat the entire snail, the snail would rot away some place behind a rock or where I couldn't see it.  They do have personality though, but I won't have another.  

I can see that being a huge problem especially in a nano. I've been lucky with this one. Mine does like to "taste" some acropora but I think a taste is all he needs. 

I have been adding a lot of cool coral that I don't have time to properly photograph. Here's the new centerpiece of the tank, courtesy of Skylar at Reef Legends, a pink rainbow wellso. I see pinks, reds, teals, purples, etc. 

And just for fun, a progression pic. Rastas have doubled in polyp count and have grown large heads. Definitely one of the pieces I'm more excited about colonizing. 

I have a pretty cool coral coming in tomorrow morning. Hopefully it'll open up enough for some pics! Thanks to all those who comment and follow this thread. 

BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 6:23pm
Recent shipment...

And acclimating...

And settling nicely in the tank!...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic