Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sick Anthias

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ttabbal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttabbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sick Anthias
    Posted: May 05 2016 at 11:34am
So I've had this fish for about a year I guess. Never had a problem. Disappears here and there for a day or two, so wasn't real worried till it turned up sitting on the bottom getting picked on. So I hastily got it out into a QT using random whatever I had available, 5 gallon bucket, a few PVC fittings, a chunk of LR from the sump, seaclone "skimmer", mostly to move water and aerate....

Symptoms: 

Lightened coloration, looks a bit grey
Fins a bit rough, could just be from being picked on in the DT 
Lethargic, sits on the bottom mostly more shy than usual, breathing a bit hard but not really gasping
Not eating
One spot that could be Ich, but I see only one which seems unusual for Ich
No cloudyness on the eyes
Stringy white poop

I suspected flukes, so I did a 10min freshwater dip. I didn't see anything in the container against a black background, but the fish did appear a little less stressed afterward. I don't see any red areas, so I'm leaning against bacterial infection. 

Inspecting the other fish in the DT, I don't see any signs of ich or other disease. They all appear healthy and eat very well. I don't see anything that looks like a sure sign of a specific issue on the Anthias either, most issues seem to present a more tell-tale sign. 

If anyone has thoughts on possible issue or treatment ideas, please post. I'm planning to try prazi and maybe copper as it seems like a parasite, but I don't know that either will do much for an internal one, if present. I would hate to misdiagnose and use an improper treatment though, as this is my first run at an issue like this. 

I haven't done QT in the past. Did add a coral from a local a few weeks back, but I doubt it came with anything bad. Last fish addition was maybe 6 months ago. I tried to get a photo, but couldn't get one that I could tell was a fish, let alone useful for diagnosis. I'll try again, but I would like to get something started today in case it's a fast moving issue like velvet. As such, please recommend where I can get the suggested med locally, Ogden-Provo area, closer to Sandy is better. 
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 12:56pm
Prazi would be my first step. It does sound like an internal parasite. Prazi does an Ok job on them as well as external. Most important is to get it eating as he will not last long (in QT or out) without eating.

Keep in mind that you won't be able to put that piece of live rock back in your sump if left in teh QT during treatment.

Best of luck. Anthias can be tough because of their need to eat so often to maintain their health. I hope he makes it.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ttabbal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttabbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 2:06pm
Thanks for the info. I'll get some Prazi for him. Sounds like it's a good start for a few possible issues anyway.

I knew the rock would need to stay out. Could it be soaked in RO to go back? I need to put some more disposable stuff in the sump for this sort of thing. Bioballs or similar... This piece is pretty small, so I don't mind losing it. I wanted some bio-filtering as I read that adding copper to things like Prime increased the toxicity of copper. I'd like to avoid copper altogether, but if it's what is needed... 

I'm really worried about the eating, I'm going to try some garlic next feeding time. 
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 2:09pm
I would remove the rock before any treatment goes in. Doing a small water change on the tank every day is more effective than what small amount of bio filtration you are getting from the piece of rock.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 5:06pm
It's been in the tank swimming and eating for about a year? I'd be grateful for that. Smile

I believe that the great majority of internal parasites grow fast enough to cause issues/death within 6 months of arrival in our tanks. My guess is that it's sick, plain and simple. Sickness can be simple like the a bad case of flu, internal organ failure or simply general malaise. Life is fragile. In either case, there is little that can be done. QT usually serves only to quicken death. I know this is pessimistic, but from my perspective, it's reality. Sorry.

It was a nice fish for a year. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ttabbal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttabbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 10:50pm
Indeed it was. Not giving up yet, but it doesn't look good. I dosed the prazi about 5 hours ago, tried feeding again and no response. I turned the pump back on and let the fish rest some more. The fish is alive, but wants to hide. I get that. :)

I imagine one way or the other, the next few days will tell. It may be eating when I'm not there pestering it. I don't think so, but I have to give it a go. If it doesn't make it, at least I know I tried.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 11:50pm
Thumbs Up Good luck
ttabbal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttabbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2016 at 9:18pm
Grrrrr.... I found my blue chromis with similar symptoms.. The different color and a better view, looks like velvet. :(

The anthias is still alive, and the chromis is eating well. I have them in copper and was already starting to ramp up the levels. I think I'm going to need a bigger QT. The 5 gallon bucket I'm using isn't going to support more fish. If two have it, I have to assume I'm on borrowed time for the rest.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2016 at 10:32pm
Sorry to read that. Velvet is one of the most resilient issues our fish can face. I guess the system-wide case of velvet I dealt with a few years ago in my ~240 gal coral farm was unique. I fed heavily and used my best Garlic Treatment several times/week. At the time, I was holding quite a number of Clownfish. Some passed but most survived. It took months before all the fish returned to full health and of course I chose not to sell them during that period. I believe that using natural sunlight with its natural UV radiation was probably helpful along with a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp in each tank of the system.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

ttabbal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttabbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2016 at 11:23pm
Thanks. I doubt these two will make it, they both look pretty rough. I'm going to keep them isolated and feed. Hopefully they recover, but it's not looking good. I have another 55g tank available, so I think it might be a good idea to get the healthy looking, probably infected fish in treatment while they are eating etc..

I do have some of the garlic you like and can certainly increase feeding. I know the fish do seem to like that garlic.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic