Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good or bad: Yellow Palythoa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wkwan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good or bad: Yellow Palythoa
    Posted: May 05 2016 at 7:39pm

Is this safe to keep as long as you give it ample space or should I believe the other forums online that say this is "yellow aptasia" and a pest to avoid at all costs? Does anyone have any experience with this coexisting with other palys? And will it reproduce/spread by budding or is it like aptasia where it can pop up everywhere in your tank even if you keep the main colony isolated?

Edited by wkwan - May 05 2016 at 7:41pm
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 9:30pm
It's wonderful!  I'd love to buy that rock.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 10:12pm
They will spread. They will also sting LPs and Sps. I have had them for years. I kill them with kalk. They are really bright when they are small but wash out the bigger they get. IMO get rid of them.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 11:41pm

In the early days, when there was little we could keep for long, we kept them and loved them. We called them simply Yellow Polyps. Adam and I still love them. If allowed, they would grow onto other rocks. They do have a strong sting so it's best to keep them apart from the other rock work as it appears in the pic that they are.

Rather than being a Palythoa, I'm pretty sure they are Parazoanthus gracilis, a colonial anemone. Enjoy Smile

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
wkwan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 4:45pm
Thanks for all the feedback, I love the look and motion they add especially during daylight spectrums when my other zoas and palys don't pop as much. I was just worried that they would be able to spawn off the rock I have them isolated on. Thanks mark for the clarification. It does look different than other palys now that I look at it up close.
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 11:11am
I have a softball size rock completely covered in yellow polyps. Free to anyone who wants it. I don't care much for them.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 10:32pm
Big smile When is your next trip south?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 7:46am
Good question.  If you're interested I can shoot you a PM whenever it does happen. Probably months, not weeks.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 8:40am
As a colonial anemone (just like Aiptasia and Majano) they can release and move to other rocks in the tank and spread without touching other rocks. Keep at your own risk. I do agree they make great movement in the tank but just make sure you know what you are getting into.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic