Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

looking for fish ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
reefer86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefer86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for fish ideas
    Posted: May 08 2016 at 12:07am
Hi All,

I'd like to add some additional fish to my 28 gallon nano. My tank has been running for ~2 years. it has SPS, zoanthids and a few LPS. Currently the only fish in the tank are a clownfish and a bicolored blenny. Here are some of the fish that I'm interested in:

-court jester goby
-yellow clown goby
-green clown goby
-sixline wrasse
-purple dottyback
-orchid dottyback

Are any of the fish on this list unsuitable for my tank? I'm definitely interested in the court jester goby....are these tough to take care of? I'd love to hear people's thoughts on these fish. Feel free to suggest other fish as well that you think would be good additions to the tank. Thanks!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 9:15am
The Clown Goby just sits there, if you like that sort of thing. A good article, "Let's Clown Around..." is here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-10/hcs3/index.htm

The Court Jester/Rainfordi's I've had were reclusive and didn't do well, perhaps because they like thicker fields of Hair Algae and my tanks typically have enough snails to keep algae mowed down to invisible nubs. Besides, the Bicolor already claims every spot of algae in the entire 28. I would not add a Koumansetta rainfordi. 

If some kind of funny fish (clown, court jester LOL) is wanted, why not add two small mates for the lone clownfish. A Reef Oasis has many clownfish from which to choose. Older clownfish readily accept any number of young clownfish and eventually choose one for a mate, at which time the rejected clownfish(es) can be removed from the top back corner where it/they are cowering out of respect for the new pair.
While we're in the Damsel family(clownfish are damsels) have you thought about a Yellow Tail Blue Damsel or two? Peaceful, very active and hardy, these are great fish for any size aquarium. If a child is in your home, a YT Blue Damsel can be their "Dori". 

The Dottybacks are beautiful but will aggressively take over and defend new territory, the entire 28 gals.Shocked On the other hand if, like me, you like the purple/yellow color combo, the Royal Gramma is beautiful, peaceful and a far better choice than the Bicolor Dottyback, IMO. 

I can confidently say that almost any small Wrasse is a great choice. I love the Six-line's green tail and horizontal red stripes, but stay away from the other "lined" Wrasses because they may eventually eat Hermits and Shrimp. I assume there is a Peppermint Shrimp in this tank. If not, I would recommend adding one. The Six-line Wrasse is beautiful, active and usually very peaceful. It is also utilitarian in that it eats little pests, like unwanted flatworms and bad bugs, along with good bugs of course. There are a great many Wrasses from which to choose. The Flasher Wrasse are gorgeous. After initially wiping out the bug population, a Wrasse needs to be fed well with supplemental frozen shrimp. Also, more snails will need to be added to the aquarium to keep algae in check that was previously eaten by the bugs.

Scott Michael is a great fish book author. We've had him here as a guest speaker. Have you seen his book: 

The 101 Best Nano-Reef Species: How to Choose & Keep Hardy, Brilliant, Fascinating Species Perfect for Small Aquariums   It's $11.99 at Amazon Kindle ($13.22 paperback) or maybe someone here could share their copy.

Hope this short Embarrassed writing helps a little.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 09 2016 at 6:42am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 6:47am
Not that it matters, but my personal choice for this tank would be two fish; first a young clownfish and a week or so later a small YT Blue Damsel. Why? Because Clownfish are tank bred and raised and YT's are very plentiful in the wild. They are hardy fish and the YT eats Flatworms. In my old age, I'm more environmentally responsible than I ever was. Ying Yang

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 9:10am

Personal preference here but I love the clown gobies. I had a few in my biocube and loved their personalities, the war paint (green) clown goby being my favorite. Unlike Mark I dislike the Damselfish... everyone I ever owned was an asshole. But I do agree with Mark on the Six-line and the Royal Gramma, beautiful fish with great personality.. will often (but not always) eat unwanted bugs/pests.

Other great candidates would be any of the prawn gobies, a pistol shrimp/watchman goby, firefish. My wifes favorite fish the pearly jawfish/yellowheaded jawfish would do well also.

reefer86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefer86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 1:46pm
Thanks for the feedback and ideas, I appreciate it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic