Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommended Lighting for tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
J2 digital View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2 digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommended Lighting for tank
    Posted: May 09 2016 at 12:44pm
I have a RSM 130D with mostly softies (ie zoas and mushrooms with a few toadstools) and a few LPS like blastos and frog spawn. I "upgraded" the lighting to a fixture from rapidled. 

Since then I've had nothing but issues. Half of the corals are extending like they aren't getting enough light and the other half are bleaching like they are getting to much light. I've already had a few zoas melt away and am seeing if anyone has recommendations on different LED's that they know work that I can switch to before I lose anything else. 

Thanks - Jason 
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 12:58pm
You've probably tried this, but have you moved the bleaching ones lower and the ones appearing to need more light higher?

It may be something else besides lighting as well. What are your Alk/Ca numbers?
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2 digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 1:18pm
Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried to move corals but some are attached to rocks that wouldn't be as easy to move. I don't know what my alk/ca is right now I'll have to take a water sample to a lfs. I can do that tonight.  

My only deal was everything was at least fine before on the pc bulbs that it came with and I even had a temporary LED fixture that went over it before I got rid of it for the hood leds. 

That's a good point though maybe I shouldn't blame it solely on my leds. I will test my parameters tonight and update my post. 
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 3:33pm
I'd test them to rule out a couple of things. I'm not familiar with the lights- does it have a setting for intensity? If so- what's it set to?
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2 digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 4:06pm
The dimmable dials it came with aren't labeled so I generally have to eyeball it which I know isn't good but not much else I can do. I'm emailing the manufacturer to see about what controllers are compatible with the kit I got. I want to say the lighting is at about 75% I also ordered some test kits tonight so I should be able to test my water in a day or two. 
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 4:37pm
Going from PC to full LED was probably a pretty big shock to the system. I would have started out light acclimating them at about 25% I know you can't be exact seems it's just a dial and then slowly moved them up in percentage over at least a few weeks period. If you started out at about 75% that would explain the bleaching as for the reaching sometimes certain corals will reach in different lighting. I even have a paly that is right at the top of my overflow gets tons of light and still reaches.

Edited by bstuver - May 09 2016 at 4:38pm
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 10:29pm

I agree with Jackie and Marcos.

Because LED's put out narrower bands of light, one single band can actually be too intense and thereby cause havoc. That's why we start low at no more than 25% and increase by only 5-10% every 10 days or so. Lethal sunburn is real. Dead

Regarding what Marcos brought up, when several conditions/parameters in the tank are teetering right on the edge, all it takes is one more thing to cause issues or even a full blown crash. Every reef aquarist needs to be keeping on top of the 4 most important parameters. I cannot say enough about Alk, Ca, Temp and SG. Have you read the Reefkeeping Tips? Please see the link below. These four parameters are so critical that it's the first thing I talk about after first instructing how to best set up a new tank.

Good to hear the test kits are on the way. Thumbs Up

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 12:54am
anyone have a par meter?

if wishes were fishes we would all have some
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic