Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Naso Tang

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
timmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Naso Tang
    Posted: May 15 2016 at 2:31pm
I'm just curious to see if anyone has a Naso Tang and what their experience has been like?
Tim
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 2:52pm
i have had one for little over a year. Great personality and gets along with others. Yellow tang didn't like her when we added her but the Naso just ignored the yellow tang for the most part. Is alway picking at algae and needs to have algae supplements with its diet. Eats all foods we put in the tank. Grows fairly fast and is a larger fish. We bought it at about 3" and its over 6 now. I have a 210 gallon tank.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 6:16pm
Beautiful fish, though sometimes short lived, perhaps because collection by islanders may still involve Cyanide. Ouch

The same as any Tang or Rabbitfish, the best success with Naso Tangs comes when a large patch of Caulerpa, Sargassum, or other Macroalgae is allowed to grow before introduction. The algae makes them calm and happy because they are voracious herbivores. I have seen them wipe tanks clean of Macroalgae. The Naso Tang is one of the fish that I used to recommend to clean up Valonia/bubble algae. (These days I recommend Emerald(Mythrax) Crabs.) Sometimes the Naso may even eat hair algae. Toward the end of the Macroalgae, feed them lettuce and Nori. Personally, I prefer lettuce over Nori because it lasts. They can graze on it all day. A variety of Romaine, Green Leaf, Red Leaf and even Broccoli (and its leaf) can satisfy their needs.

The 75 gal pictured below was purposely allowed to grow a large field of Caulerpa (see last pic). 
The herbivores ate it all.

This pic was taken soon after moving, after adding a Sailfin Tang but before I had gotten around to aquascaping.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 15 2016 at 6:39pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic