Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

125 no brace?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 125 no brace?
    Posted: May 25 2016 at 6:37pm
I just bought a used125 and for some reason didn't noticed that it didn't have a brace. It seems like it was made without one since the frame looks good. It's has 1/2" glass. From reading online they say that older tanks were not made with center brace since they have thicker glass. Can anyone confirm that? Or should I just silicon a piece of glass at the top?
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 6:56pm
I would do a test and start filling it outside. You will see if the glass starts to bow outward. Fill it half way and check it. 3/4 and check it, etc.
Unfortunately if you do in fact need to silicone a brace it will take several days to cure 100%. If the glass is bowing too much it will stretch the silicone past its ability and break free. Keep in mind silicone can only stretch 50-100% over its original size.

I have worked with glass for 19 years and have erected many structural glass walls where structural sealant is one of the key elements tying the glass together.
Here we go again
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 7:10pm
My guess (without running calculations) is that a 6' long unbraced tank should be 1/2" glass or thicker.
Here we go again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 8:29pm
It is 1/2" glass. Is bowing something I can see just with my eye?
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 9:01pm
Tank is currently filled and I don't see any type of bowing. Also put a leveler on the sides and it doesn't seem to be off.
Should I called it goods?
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 10:05pm
Grab a tape measure and take a reading at the top of each sidend, then take a measurement on the center.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 6:48am
Do you have time to add the brace? May thank yourself later.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 7:29am
Yeah I think I will end up adding one just to be safe. Will a piece of aluminum curve at the sides work?
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 8:21am
Let's not just guess. Let's get technical. The need for a brace (and the strength of the brace) and the thickness of the glass depends on the dimensions. Is the tank 72" long X 23" tall or 60"x24" or some other dimension. To be sure we are dealing with a 125, what are the dimensions?

The formula: L" x W" x H" / 230 = gallons

Did it have a brace that was cut out? With a plastic frame it's easy to see the saw marks and shape of the plastic where a brace used to be. If a brace was cut out, it's not too difficult to re-attach a brace. If no, securing a new brace in the gutter is still possible.

Yes, aluminum is okay for a brace, but acrylic or stainless steel is better. Why? Because Al corrodes and we really don't want corroded Al in the tank. Condensation and splashes drip back into the tank.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 8:40am
If it came as a rimless aquarium you don't need to add a brace.  If the brace was removed by previous owner I would add one.  Call the guy you bought it from and ask him/her.  See if you can find out where they bought it and what brand model it is.  Rimless I believe uses thicker glass which allows more silicone in the joints to hold it together.
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 8:45am

Pure aluminum(non-ferrous) actually has far greater corrosion resistance than steel. If you make it out of Aluminum make sure its made from ALCLAD, if you make it from CRES (corrosion resistant steel) you will want to make it from 301 1/4 or 1/2 hard. The life of either material will be greatly extended if you coat it with clear poly.

I may not know much about reefs but I know a lot about metal.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic