Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Griffis313 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffis313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member
    Posted: May 27 2016 at 6:51pm
Hi all, I am new to saltwater just bought my first tank 75 gl, 30 gl sump, 2 AI prime LEDs, dc controllable pump, 2 wp40qd, 2 titanium heaters, bubble max skimmer, octopus reactor, 4 head reef doser. I am moving the tank to my place tomorrow it is fully stocked with 120lb live rock, couple of fish and a few corals. I have been researching for about half a year now, and very excited to start this new hobby. Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated, as I have learned a lot just reading forums here. What should I dose? How long should I wait before introducing anything else to the tank? Thanks
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 7:05pm
Welcome! Do you have test kits? Hydrometer or refractometer?   Make sure you stay on top of salinity, nitrates and phosphates. Redundancy is your friend. I would wait a month to add anything. Reefing is a long term hobby. Take your time and enjoy what you have.
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 7:46pm
Welcome aboard, we have a massive archive here with reef keep I got tips to help the new as well as those that think they know it all ;) patience and if this is a current live setup be sure to watch for a cycle as the sand if not cleaned can actually ca u send a mess with the tank after being moved. J uh st my experience. If you need some macro algae I have some you can have to help with the bump in nutrients after the move.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffis313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 9:19pm
Awesome thank you. Yes I have a refractometer, and nitrate, nitrite, ph, alkalinity and ammonia test kits. Should I get any others? Also I was told to try and move the tank with the sand still in it, trying not to disturb the sand. Is that correct? Also should I use the doser? If so what should I be dosing. I am mainly interested in coral. And what is the best mode for the power heads? Constant flow? What kind of spectrum do you recommend for my lights?
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 10:13pm
Yeah, be careful with the sand. I'm a proponent of either new sand or rinsed sand for a major move like this. You can keep fish and coral in bins while you get the tank ready. I think you're good on test kits, as long as they're not expired. You will need a doser once your tank is consuming more nutrients than you can keep up with from water changes. Most people don't actually need a doser. Testing for calcium and alch daily until you learn your tank might be a good idea. Only dose what you test. I've always liked the chaotic/random water flow-and lots of it. As for lighting, one of the factory presets will do you just fine. The presets are made to grow coral and make everything look pretty. Or use whatever the previous owner was doing. Don't use the light at full power.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffis313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 12:01am
Thanks for the help. How long can my coral attached to rock be out of water. Would like to aquascape without the tank full of water, but have a few corals attached to rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic