Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6.2 iMagItaRium petco tank build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6.2 iMagItaRium petco tank build
    Posted: May 28 2016 at 3:16pm
Well I finally gave away the rest of the guppies and live plants I had in this so now it will be a macro/softy tank with maybe some rock flower anemones down the line.

I am still looking for a light in my budget ($100-150) and can't decide on what I want.

Also I had upgraded the return pump because the stock one was so weak but this will need a small powerhead as well seems I couldn't fit a much bigger one in the back chamber, so I need suggestions for that. I am thinking the Hydor pico evo-mag 180 because of their small footprint, but would love some suggestions.

Tank:
Petco 6.2g Imagitarium
Black sand

Future stock list options and thoughts:
pom pom crab pair
sexy shrimp
green banded gobies

Light:
To be determined, I'm thinking of going with the Aquamaxx memo nano but it is out of stock right now
Right now it's a finnex planted plus clip on

Any suggestions for stock list would be awesome

Couple crappy cell pics, the rocks aren't where they will stay just thrown in there for now:

Edited by bstuver - May 28 2016 at 3:39pm
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 7:33pm
Very nice!
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 7:38pm
I love it Jackie! Do you remember the Ecoexotic lights? Their little Stunner Strips were pretty neat. Maybe you could find one used on eBay or NanoReef. I love the color of your walls too!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by BillyC BillyC wrote:

Very nice!

Thanks!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by evan127 evan127 wrote:

I love it Jackie! Do you remember the Ecoexotic lights? Their little Stunner Strips were pretty neat. Maybe you could find one used on eBay or NanoReef. I love the color of your walls too!

Thank you! Yes I do remember those and it would be an option. I really like this light I have over it and I think they make a marine version as well so that might be something to look into as well. I love the color of my walls too so thank you! We redid our kitchen a couple years ago and this is sitting in a corner of the kitchen just below our stairs that lead upstairs
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 3:12pm
Small picture update because I had the good camera out:) No light yet. I ordered the Aquamaxx nemolight nano, Marine Depot says it was shipped UPS ground but didn't put a tracking number so who knows what day it will be here or if it's even shipped. Anyway, some of the red macros have turned green does anyone know if it would be a light problem or something else? I did another 3 gallon water change yesterday and stole a couple of my snails from my main tank until I can get an order out in as I was starting to see some green hair algae.

Edited by bstuver - June 16 2016 at 3:13pm
Jackie Stuver

evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 3:16pm
I have never been a fan of black sand, but this tank looks so good! I really like it Jackie!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by evan127 evan127 wrote:

I have never been a fan of black sand, but this tank looks so good! I really like it Jackie!

Thanks. I've never tried black sand in a saltwater tank so I figured I'd give it a try. The sand in my other tank drives me crazy because it always looks dirty.
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2016 at 2:34pm
I have to say I am highly annoyed/disappointed with Marine Depot right now. The aquamaxx nemo nano light was on backorder I waited for the email to say they were back in stock got that email went on their site and ordered it. I got the confirmation for it but nothing else so I contacted them yesterday(5 days after I placed the order) and got an email this morning telling me that when they went to fulfill my order they were out so they are back ordered again. Now I would have been only a little annoyed if they would have actually contacted me and told me this in the first place but instead I had to contact them otherwise I would have just sat wondering when my light was coming. You would think that if they don't plan to send something they would let you know! Now I need to decide if I want to wait the 2-3 more weeks they expect to be back ordered or figure out something else.
Jackie Stuver

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 9:46am
Sorry to hear that.

If you're interested in some advice from a cranky old guy that has grown a lot of macroalgae, I'm happy to add my 2 cents worth. This local hobbyist, an old friend of mine, has a lot to say about pretty macroalgae. http://www.suzysreef.com

As you may know, light is very critical for good growth of algae. It's the energy they need to perform Photosynthesis to process nutrients. Of course, diffused sunlight is best, fluorescent lights of the right spectrum are next best for growing Macroalgae and then there are LED's. Some LED's fixtures are too dim to grow algae effectively, other LED fixtures do not emit the proper spectrum/wavelength to grow a decent crop of algae, and still other LED's emit too much yellow-white so that Hair Algae grows only too well.

Red Macros seem to be quite spectrum specific. That's why the Dragons Breath may be getting green or even white edges. It is a deeper water algae that thrives in strong blue light and not so much of the remainder of the spectrum. Below are some pics taken in whiter light to make it more visible to the camera and our eyes. Notice the blue fluorescentlight tubes reflected on the water.

The other consideration is nutrients. Just as a reef, an algae biotope/habitat is sensitive to nutrient availability. Some algae seem to grow best when nutrients are plentiful. Chaetomorpha is one of these. Others do well in more of a stony coral reef environment where nutrients are scarce. In my experience most of the red alga are in this category, yet do not respond well when starved of nutrients. Caulerpa is a middle of the road Macroalgae, surviving in a low nutrient environment and flourishing in a high nutrient habitat. 

In an algae biotope the macroalgae can end up looking kind of messy if it's not pruned regularly. Bit's of detritus stick to it and small animal polyps attach to it, so Snails and bugs help keep it looking clean.

Algae needs to eat so keeping fish in an algae biotope not only provides usable food but adds movement to the display. Sometimes a little Activated Alumina is helpful in tweaking the amount of nutrients present in a tank. 

If you are planning on growing Caulerpa for it's varied shapes and solid green color, it is easy to care for and does well in a variety of nutrient environments and light spectrum. It is a good staple. There are some very nice looking Caulerpa, from ones that grow long blades and feathers to those that look like cups or wine glasses. I have been growing 3 or 4 varieties including the ones mentioned. I'd be happy to share. Let me know. 808-345-1049

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
If the nuisance algae Asperigopsis/Cotton Candy Algae begins to grow, it's easy to keep in check with Pacific Turbo Snails. Unfortunately, PTSnails will also readily devour all the other red alga. Instead, use a band of Hermits to keep Asperigopsis under control.

Red Grape is a really nice algae

Red bubble algae looks cool to me.

Just a few more pics of some really cool macros and grasses.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Sorry to hear that.

If you're interested in some advice from a cranky old guy that has grown a lot of macroalgae, I'm happy to add my 2 cents worth. This local hobbyist, an old friend of mine, has a lot to say about pretty macroalgae. http://www.suzysreef.com

As you may know, light is very critical for good growth of algae. It's the energy they need to perform Photosynthesis to process nutrients. Of course, diffused sunlight is best, fluorescent lights of the right spectrum are next best for growing Macroalgae and then there are LED's. Some LED's fixtures are too dim to grow algae effectively, other LED fixtures do not emit the proper spectrum/wavelength to grow a decent crop of algae, and still other LED's emit too much yellow-white so that Hair Algae grows only too well.

Red Macros seem to be quite spectrum specific. That's why the Dragons Breath may be getting green or even white edges. It is a deeper water algae that thrives in strong blue light and not so much of the remainder of the spectrum. Below are some pics taken in whiter light to make it more visible to the camera and our eyes. Notice the blue fluorescentlight tubes reflected on the water.

The other consideration is nutrients. Just as a reef, an algae biotope/habitat is sensitive to nutrient availability. Some algae seem to grow best when nutrients are plentiful. Chaetomorpha is one of these. Others do well in more of a stony coral reef environment where nutrients are scarce. In my experience most of the red alga are in this category, yet do not respond well when starved of nutrients. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Caulerpa is a middle of the road Macroalgae, surviving in a low nutrient environment and flourishing in a high nutrient habitat. </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">In an algae biotope the macroalgae can end up looking kind of messy if it's not pruned regularly. Bit's of detritus stick to it and small animal polyps attach to it, so Snails and bugs help keep it looking clean.</span>

<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">Algae needs to eat so keeping fish in an algae biotope not only provides usable food but adds movement to the display. </span>Sometimes a little Activated Alumina is helpful in tweaking the amount of nutrients present in a tank. 
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">If you are planning on growing Caulerpa for it's varied shapes and solid green color, it is easy to care for and does well in a variety of nutrient environments and light spectrum. It is a good staple. There are some very nice looking Caulerpa, from ones that grow long blades and feathers to those that look like cups or wine glasses. I have been growing 3 or 4 varieties including the ones mentioned. I'd be happy to share. Let me know. 808-345-1049</span>

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
If the nuisance algae Asperigopsis/Cotton Candy Algae begins to grow, it's easy to keep in check with Pacific Turbo Snails. Unfortunately, PTSnails will also readily devour all the other red alga. Instead, use a band of Hermits to keep Asperigopsis under control.

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Red Grape is a really nice algae</span>

Red bubble algae looks cool to me.

Just a few more pics of some really cool macros and grasses.

I don't know how I missed your post but you are treating me like I am a new. I have all of these in my sump already and they are growing great. I was just curious on the one that is called violet flame as it turned green which I assume is either from it being a new tank or the light sucked. On that note I ended up buying Bryces Aqua Illuminations nano light and am giving it a try. Everything was growing with the other light I just lost color on that one piece. I don't know where you are seeing white edges on the flame algae but it was a piece that was under all the other in my sump.
Anyway the tank is doing well the macros are growing and seems I am a person that keeps my tanks pretty well pruned and maintained I will let it grow out and then throw my trimmings back in my sump or sell them.

PS if you visit the nano reef forum there are plenty of macro tanks that are pretty awesome on there.
Jackie Stuver

Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 2:49pm
What's the sign behind the tank?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 4:54pm
I just now saw this. My tank has black sand. So far I really like it.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Hogie Hogie wrote:

Haha we have 3 dogs and one outside cat I thought this sign fit our house:
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

I just now saw this. My tank has black sand. So far I really like it.

Adam

Me too other than when the snails poop lol. But if I could easily switch out my main tank I probably would:)
Jackie Stuver

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 8:01am
Sorry Jackie. I didn't mean anything by it. It's very cool that you are growing so many types of algae. I try to write/share in a way that even newbies can understand and pick up a few bits of good info. Most hobbyists are new hobbyists. Out of 260 views of this thread, I bet that there are more than a few hobbyists wondering about how to keep an algae biotope.

I love black sand too.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 11:59am

Sorry Jackie. I didn't mean anything by it. It's very cool that you are growing so many types of algae. I try to write/share in a way that even newbies can understand and pick up a few bits of good info. Most hobbyists are new hobbyists. Out of 260 views of this thread, I bet that there are more than a few hobbyists wondering about how to keep an algae biotope.

I love black sand too.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Adam
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

lol that's funny!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 6:28am

lol that's funny!
It make me laf 2. 

Wacko Why are we quoting full posts?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 11:03am

lol that's funny!
I<span style="line-height: 16.8px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">t make me laf 2. </span>

<div style="line-height: 16.8px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Wacko Why are we quoting full posts?

Why not?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic