Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tap Water

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tap Water
    Posted: June 01 2016 at 8:59pm
Hey I was just wondering if anyone has used Tap Water in there Reef Tank with success? I know a lot of people say use RO water but is there anybody who uses Tap? 
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 9:37pm
I did. But the TDs of tap is insane. Also test your tap for nitrates and see where your at
reefer86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefer86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 11:13pm
I remember Adam Blundell saying at a meeting about a year ago that he uses tap water for his tank. You might want to send him a PM to ask him about it. Success with tap water might also depend on what types of coral are in the tank. I would imagine that softies are more forgiving of tap water than stonies
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 6:06am
Also tap water quality varies greatly between different cities/sources.
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 7:03am
I have used tap water my whole life in my tanks with a little prime solution. I have never had a problem. I never even check the tds. I live in spanish fork. I know the water is a little hard here. I have always kept all kinds of coral with no problems and they have thrived. Just never got on the r.o. bandwagon, nothing against it either, guess i have just been lucky
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 7:08am
I know there are others around here that run very nice tanks with tap water.  Myself, I use RODI and like zero TDS.  The tap water at my house is around 800 TDS and I just can't do it.

Edited by kevin.st - June 02 2016 at 7:08am
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 8:57am
Wow, 800, that's pretty high. How long do your filters and resin last?

Brad, Tileman, has a tank that wins national awards and he said once that he is pretty particular about having zero TDS.

Adam used tap water, but he's also growing softies. His tank is pretty amazing.
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 9:11am
We are so good at nutrient export these days, that I would think that most people (not all) are okay topping off with tap water and if you're trying to save a buck or 2 cause money is tight, I think it's fine. There is a slight risk though... You can't control what's going on outside your home.  Things like water main breaks, construction, cities adding things like fluoride and other additives and minor and large natural disasters can happen without you even knowing or being home.  Is it highly unlikely that any of this will happen?  Probably, but if you're like me, Murphy's Law applies to pretty much everything in my life lol.  A simple RODI system is so inexpensive, IMO it's nice eliminating one extra risk.  Also, I stopped changing my DI Resin as often as others recommend.  MY TDS stays under 15 and I change it like every 6 months and the tank does fine.  
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 9:15am
You can use it, but, when you have a problem you will always wonder if it is caused by your tap water.  The TDS at my house is pretty low 160.  With a 4 stage RO/DI I get 0 tds.  If you plan on spending hundreds or even thousands like most of us, what is another couple hundred bucks?  
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 9:34am

my tap in sandy is 500-600.  depending on which employee at the water plant pees in the drinking water that day.

Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 9:53am
Download the city water report.  It shows you exactly what we are putting in our body's and tanks.  Kind of gross.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 10:16am
Tap water is usually OK.

Adding about a tablespoon of Kalkwasser powder to a 5 gallon bucket of tap water, stirring it once and letting it sit for a few hours is enough to precipitate unwanted metals from the water making it even more suitable for use than plain tap water. If concerned about other toxins, the typical use of AC and AA in the aquarium will remove the other relatively deleterious molecules (including Flouride) that the tanks biofiltration cannot process.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Chevmaro Chevmaro wrote:

Download the city water report.  It shows you exactly what we are putting in our body's and tanks.  Kind of gross.
Taking that a step further, we drink the water and also eat the food that drank the water. The food either came from the soil or ate from the soil. As it ends up, the food we eat is made up of a world of those "gross" chemical compounds. Luckily, for the most part, our body is designed to use the gross stuff it needs and discard the gross stuff it doesn't need.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 1:12pm
I only use tap water. Feel free to check out my tank anytime.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 1:13pm
Mark makes a good point. In one tank I do add kalk.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 10:11pm
So my Dad has a BRS RO/DI unit with a TDS sensor on it and it says the water that is coming into the unit is 009 ppm. I have a hard time believing that our water is that good. Unless that's bad...
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 9:17am
You're right, there's no way tap water could be 9 ppm. 
My tap water has ranged anywhere from ~180 ppm when I lived in Centerville to over 550 ppm when I lived in St. George. As stated above it can approach 1000 ppm. 

For me, an inline TDS meter is convenient, but unnecessary. 

Hand held, portable TDS testers can be purchased online for under $15. That's all I use, because periodic testing is all that's needed.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic