Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIO Pellets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIO Pellets
    Posted: June 07 2016 at 3:20pm
I'm looking into changing what i have in my reactor. Right at the moment i have been running Phosguard and it seems to work ok for removing phosphates, However i think it may strip them too fast and i may be switching back to GFO.

Anyways what are your guys thoughts on BIO Pellets. I only have room in my sump for the one reactor at the moment so i need to choose wisely on what i want to run in my reactor. And i'm leaning towards BIO Pellets for now.

Currently i am running Chemi-Pure and Purigen in filter sock and change them out every couple of months. And then as i noted above i run the Phosguard in my reactor (At a really SLOW rate)

If i end up running the BIO Pellets in the reactor do i need to remove anything that I'm currently using as filtration (Chemi-Pure(AC), Purigen and Phosguard/GFO) ???

Any and all input will be appreciated.
CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2016 at 10:59am
Somebody, Anybody??? Confused
CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2016 at 2:52pm
I had a horrible experience with bio-pellets and a bacterial infection that it caused on my system.  I'm the wrong person to ask, cause I would tell you to stay away from them. 
kitkat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2016 at 7:37pm
I loved my biopellets, they work great but I add zeobak every now and then.  I guess to make myself think I'm keeping the right strains.  When I restarted my new tank I seeded with zeobak and its been running great so far again.  I think you just have to make sure they're pretty violently tumbling or they'll mat together in this thick clear/white jello.  It was disgusting.  I ignored mine too long and that happened.  I shake mine every few weeks to make sure nothings clumping now.
CAD Lights 34g Mixed Reef
http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/kitkat/1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic