Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water testing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kitkat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water testing?
    Posted: June 09 2016 at 10:24am
I've been using one method of testing for a few weeks and then decided to use my other kit to test and the two are way off.  Anyone know a reef store that uses hanna checkers to give me a 3rd opinion on which of my kits is more accurate?
CAD Lights 34g Mixed Reef
http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/kitkat/1
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 2:16am
What kind are you using?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 9:50am
+1
Some test kits are just not very good.
An individual test kit can go bad due to contamination.
Age of the test kit can lead to misreadings.
Speaking of misreadings, slight variations between the persons doing the testing also has an effect on the numbers. Like how dark red/pink is the Alk test supposed to be when you stop adding drops?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

FYI, Hanna test kits are equally as susceptible to the above points. I see no reason to give my hard earned money to Hanna. Tongue

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 30 2016 at 9:53am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 1:03am
lol mark my wife always comes up with a different color than i do it drives me crazy (a very short drive)  do water changes and keep the kits out of the fish room!!

if wishes were fishes we would all have some
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 10:23am
I love my Alk and Ultra Low Phosphorus Hana checkers. That said, I use these along with Red Sea and the Hana Alk always test about .5 DKH higher than the red sea pro. I think the bottom line is all hobby level tester are suspect and can be used for a guide to see if you are stay stable (in the same range).
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic