Facebook
Twitter

Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FREE rotifers!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FREE rotifers!
    Posted: June 21 2016 at 8:22pm
My clowns ate the 4th batch of eggs... and i have a 5g bucket completely full of rotifers. If anyone wants some bring your own container and ill gladly share.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 11:22pm
I wouldn't be letting them go, I'd be feeding ALL those extra Rotifers to my tank. There are many inverts in the tank that love Rotifers. Rotifers in the tank may even help the Clownfish go full term with their eggs; 1- partly because of the parents eating live Rotifers, 2- partly because some bugs that the parents eat will have eaten the live Rotifers, 3- partly because the tank will be healthier when everything is eating live Rotifers and 4- partly because the parent Clownfish will feel more comfortable letting their eggs hatch when they believe that there is food for their babies.

In my opinion, live food is always preferable to frozen and frozen is always preferable to dry processed food. 

Hopefully the Clownfish are getting good quality frozen meaty foods that contain algae. Clownfish do eat algae. Why algae? Because it is the basis of life. Because it contains important nutrients not present in animal flesh. Additionally, algae in the gut of a shrimp, rotifer, etc. gets digested by the fish and fish larvae, providing essential nutrients that they may not otherwise ingest.

Also, FYI, my very first clownfish breeding pair started laying and hatching their eggs right after I started dosing a trace elements supplement. It may have been Kent CoralVite or Kent Essential Elements, I don't remember. It was way back in 1998. Embarrassed

Hopefully the above info proves helpful.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 21 2016 at 11:35pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 6:44am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I wouldn't be letting them go.... Pay it Forward

Hmmmm.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 6:48am

I'm harvesting about 1/4 of my 5g bucket a day to keep my roti population from crashing. I'm going to put a 2 liter of rotis in the fridge and give away a few 2 liters worth. I wont be completely getting rid of them but I definitely have WAY more than I need. Just thought I'd offer some free to members to keep my population in check where I wont be needing them for a few more weeks at earliest...

Mark, my clowns love algae... they will hang out near my nori clip and wait for my blue tang to tear off some pieces which they steal from her... they are also fed a rotating diet of (thawed) frozen cubes of meaty foods of Mysis, spirulina enriched brine shrimp,  arctic pods. They get a treat of live brine shrimp once to twice a week that I enrich with live phtyo and Selcon.

Hmmm strange you should mention the trace elements as I just switched back to Kent essential elements about the same time they started laying.... very curious.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 6:54am
On another note I noticed a huge difference in growth (and I would assume quality but that would be hard to verify) of rotifers when I switched to live phyto vs. the paste. Seems that the paste would collect on the bottom and edges and leave clumps... I recently starting growing my own Nannochloropsis and (again from appearances only) seems to have doubled the roti growth I was getting... did I mention I have some for free?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 8:50am
I should have started off by saying how great it was that you are growing and sharing Rotifers. Thumbs Up

It seems that hobbyists are not as interested in these live foods as in times past. Of course that's probably because of the much better quality of frozen foods these days. In my mind, everyone should be clamoring to get free Rotifers. 

Fun to read that your Clownfish eat pieces of Nori and cool that we had a similar experience with Essential Elements. Yes, I agree that live single cell algae is superior, but I had a heck of a time keeping the algae cultures going. Embarrassed

Aloha,
Mark
ttabbal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttabbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 8:59am
Hmmm.... I've only read of feeding these to fry. You just feed the tank with them? 
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 10:11am
SPS, LPS, Feather Dusters, Zoas and many filter feeding inverts catch the rotifers (zooplankton) floating by in the water with their tentacles and other bugs like Amphipods can catch Rotifers that have settled on surfaces.

Worm larvae and many other larvae are also great nighttime food for our coral. One thing not commonly known is that little clumps of bacteria are also food for most sessile inverts. That's why not vacuuming but rather, doing periodic stirring of the LS bed is very beneficial as it feeds all our filter feeders. Smile

FYI, many filter feeders, especially soft coral, prefer single celled algae (phytoplankton) instead of, or in addition to zooplankton. The polyps may let one or the other pass by or may initially catch it and then let it go. On a larger scale, we see this when an anemone catches a bit of algae and then lets go of it.

This video is pretty good on the subject:

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic