Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fish injury

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WaitForIt... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fish injury
    Posted: June 24 2016 at 9:00am

hey all,

I was just curious as to how many people have seen their fish get injured by other tank mates.  last night, I noticed that my two barred rabbitfish had a swollen lump on the anterior portion of his body, next to his tail.  it seemed slightly discolored, but may have been just the lighting.  he was breathing very quickly and didn't eat last night, which caused some concern but was still swimming around this morning.  my first inclination was that he got stung by something which caused some inflammation.  has anyone ever experienced something like this?  what was the outcome?

thanks!

It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 9:07am
I had a niger trigger take a good bite out of my coral beauty.. traded the trigger back to the lfs I got him from and in a few days the beauty was fine..
getting fishy??
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 9:19am
Hard to give you a good idea of what to do without picture for positive ID.... so this is just a WAG but google "lympocystis" and see if that looks like what your fish has.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 9:41am
The google images for lymphocistis don't appear to be what my fish has.  However, with just noticing it, I guess that it could progress to that.  Right now, it looks more like a swollen area due to a scrape or sting of some sort.  i'll try to get some pics up later.
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 10:43am
I've had fish get a scrap on something and it's swollen up into a bubble. (Kind of like a pimple but not white) it hasn't affected eating and behavior though.
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 10:58am
If the fish eats today and is able to swim with no signs of struggle i wouldnt worry to much. Keep water quality up, fed high quality food (enriched with vit C and selcon would help alot in this case) and dont stress him any more.

If the fish continues to not eat or appears to have trouble swimming i would consider pulling it out to quarantine. Removing a fish is IMO always the last resort.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 12:20pm
he doesn't seem to struggle while swimming, so I hope it just heals up.  i'll keep an eye on him, though.  I don't want to QT either, it seems to add additional stress to an already tough situation.  water is good, food is good.  i'll do a minor water change tonite anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic