Facebook
Twitter

Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for leathers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for leathers
    Posted: June 28 2016 at 5:37pm
I'm wanting to turn my tank more towards leathers but I want some that are unusual colors or species. I prefer to have bigger pieces not tiny frags. Let me know if you have anything!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 6:07am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80152

Aloha,
Mark テつHug

He doesn't really have anything that's unique and he's in Tremonton but thanks.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 9:12am
I disagree. The foot tall Litophyton that softplan has for sale is uncommon. In my experience though, the "leathers" are pretty mundane. Yet, green Sarcophyton (I believe you once bought a frag from me), green and pink Sinularia are pretty cool and hardy. The last two pics below are my Klyxum, not so hardy, but a very unique coral, also called Colt Coral. 

Many of my favorite coral are soft coral as you can see from the pics below of my tanks. Unfortunately, the "leathers" are quite mundane as far as color. See my next post with some ideas for very unique soft coral/anemones.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

(Jake took the pic above on the 2002 Reef Tour of a tank I set up and stocked for a friend)

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 9:31am
The amazing and somewhat unique soft coral:

The marvelous colors and shapes of Anemones I never knew existed until I saw these pics:

Like this beautiful Condylactis Anemone from the Pacific! Thanks to Larry Jackson Photography, for expanding my brain. Big smile

CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 12:15pm
if you are still looking, I still have a few
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 1:53pm
Okay Mark I'm not driving to Tremonton for something that I don't think is greatly unique, you have your opinion I have mine. As for other soft corals I have plenty of them and don't need suggestions as this post was looking for leathers.
Anyway if anyone else has any leathers please let me know. I don't plan to travel past Sandy area or slightly further.

Thanks.

Chris I will let you know
Jackie Stuver

Marcoss View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 2:44pm
I have a green toadstool. Its not super bright but green. And a boring, but long tentacled, toadstool. They are the ones in that tank I pulled the green you got from me last. 
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 3:45pm
Mark! Stop helping so hard. Smile

I've got a very nice, green devils hand leather I could frag.  But alas, I am north of Sandy.   If we're ever going to be in the same place, I'm happy to bring a frag along.

BTW - I'm pretty stoked to see what you find.  You always have awesome stuff!  Good luck.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

Mark! Stop helping so hard.テつSmile

I've got a very nice, green devils hand leather I could frag. テつBut alas, I am north of Sandy. テつ If we're ever going to be in the same place, I'm happy to bring a frag along.

BTW - I'm pretty stoked to see what you find. テつYou always have awesome stuff! テつGood luck.

Awesome I will let you know:)
Jackie Stuver

Ashtondem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashtondem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 1:05pm
This is Tonco, He is a leather coral. I have 4 good size health frags from him. If your interested let me know.   

Angela - The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea. - Isak Dinesen
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 3:12pm
LOL So true, Shane. You reminded me, I too have a large green Lobophytum. Since Jackie is looking for large colonies, rather than frags, this might do quite nicely, if she can pay me what I'm asking. Wink I don't have a pic, but it looks a lot like this:

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 01 2016 at 3:13pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 3:25pm
The Blue Ridge Coral (Heliopora coerulea) that Softplan is selling is one of the most unique soft coral you will ever see. It's usually tan with white polyps but the blue skeleton is what makes it really unique. Yes, this soft coral builds a stony skeleton.
Here in this pic from Softplan's thread, the Blue Ridge is on the rock under and to the right of the Anemone :

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 6:28pm

LOL So true, Shane. You reminded me, I too have a large green Lobophytum. Since Jackie is looking for large colonies, rather than frags, this might do quite nicely, if she can pay me what I'm asking. WinkテつI don't have a pic, but it looks a lot like this:

Sent you a text let me know how much you're looking to get for it.
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 6:29pm

The Blue Ridge Coral (Heliopora coerulea) that Softplan is selling is one of the most unique soft coral you will ever see. It's usually tan with white polyps but the blue skeleton is what makes it really unique. Yes, this soft coral builds a stony skeleton.
Here in this pic from Softplan's thread, the Blue Ridge is on the rock under and to the right of the Anemone :

Aloha,
Mark テつHug

yeah he looks like he has some cool stuff but I know I will never make it to Tremonton so it doesn't help me:)
Jackie Stuver

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

LOL So true, Shane. You reminded me, I too have a large green Lobophytum. Since Jackie is looking for large colonies, rather than frags, this might do quite nicely, if she can pay me what I'm asking. Winkテ窶堙つI don't have a pic, but it looks a lot like this:

Sent you a text let me know how much you're looking to get for it.

Daaaaammmnnn. I too want that.

Adam
Club Barbecue
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 8:01am

I need to back track. When I looked at the Lobophytum last night, I realized it wasn't nearly that bright green. It has all those beautiful lobes but it's more of a dark green. I like it a lot and was thinking of asking $90, but not even sure I want to sell. Sorry.

Mark  Hug

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic