Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plumbing advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bwinberg23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinberg23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plumbing advice
    Posted: July 03 2016 at 2:32pm
I just picked up a used 75 gallon extra tall tank and I'm thinking that I want to make some changes to the plumbing before I get it up and running. It currently is drilled with 2 approximately 2" holes one on the left of the tank and one on the right. It's setup so that both of these are overflows. The return is done through a pvc device that hangs on the back. The return pump is a mag 1800. I'm wondering if it is necessary to have 2 overflows or can convert one of them to a return? I like the way that it is setup right now in terms of flow being spread out along the width of the tank but it's rather unsightly and I'm looking for something that would look better.
Here are a few pics of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinberg23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 2:34pm
Sorry, I can never get these images to go the way I want them to.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 9:26am
Actually those two drains look like 1" elbows. Am I right?

I've got some really awesome ideas/suggestions for you but first, so I can tailor my advice to that specific tank, may we see a full tank pic, front and back, especially showing the plumbing? 

Sorry, I'd ask pics sent to my phone, but it's just an old flip phone. I believe that pics from smart phones don't orient/download here properly when the phone is set to "auto rotate"

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinberg23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 11:24am
Here are some pics. I hope they help.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 8:10am
Okay, cool. Thanks for that backside pic.

That's an interesting design for a drain. Does the previous owner give any clue as to whether the drain operated completely silent or not?
What model/size Mag Drive Pump is that?

The drains seem topped with 1" elbows, right? 
Are the bulkheads threaded so those fittings can be removed and others be installed?

Is the return manifold attached to the frame? with silicone? 
Can it be carefully removed?

Yes, one side can be used as the drain(with a flow limit of about 600 gph) and the other as the return, but if it were me I'd follow the current system basics. I'd use both as drains and bring the return over the top. That way the return could adequately circulate the entire tank with no need for obtrusive in-tank powerheads. The return manifold that is there is pretty ugly and the current drain design is inefficient. Better drains can be built and a more aesthetically pleasing return can be created.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 05 2016 at 8:47am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinberg23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 8:47am
I didn't get much info on if it was quiet or not. I plan on filling it up in my garage and letting it run tonight to find that out.

I Google Drive the module # on the back of the mag drive. Everything points me to a 1800.

The pvc is glued inside of the bulkheads but I plan on getting new ones. The hole in the glass is about 2" I didn't measure the elbows but I'm guessing they're about 1.5".

The return manifold is not attached it's just hanging there.
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 10:22am

I am pretty picky about this kind of stuff, too.  You know that the white PVC will be covered in coralline algae in a few months, right?  I have seen worse than what you're dealing with.  I would just make sure all the connections are solid and just roll with it. Keep your nitrates/phosphates down and you will get a nice pink/purple algae all over the PVC, PVC being the first things to get covered by coralline in my experience. 

I agree with Mark that it seems to be functional as it is now.  (Not that Mark's words need any confirmation). 

You could use locline like this instead of the return you have now: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pumps-plumbing/plumbing/loc-line.html

I know Live rock n reef (Jimi) and Reef Legends (Skyler) have plumbing in stock and can help you get this sorted out.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 4:10pm
Even if those drains work and seem quiet in the garage, if this were my tank, I'd upgrade the drain.

I've closely examined all the pictures and I honestly believe those are 1" fittings. Please tell me if I'm wrong. About 1" is the ID (internal dimension) of the pipe. The ID of a 1" fitting is 1.31" and OD(outside dimension) is 1.45" (almost 1.5"). Each fitting has a size marked on it in raised lettering. If you cannot find that marking, it's going to be very important to take a measurement. 

The reason I'm focusing on this is because they are restricting water flow. I can see by that design that the 1800 gph pump had to be throttled back. A simple basic design change can allow more water to flow down each drain, thus opening the throttle, creating better circulation to the point where in-tank obtrusive powerheads could be avoided.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 05 2016 at 5:13pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinberg23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 6:30pm
I just looked and they are in fact 1" elbows. What basic design change would you recommend? I've been looking into ever flow boxes and I'm leaning towards that right now but I'd really like to get the opinions of a few people who have plumbed a tank or two.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2016 at 9:38am
Good. Thumbs Up You've come to the right place. Smile

Let's talk about flow. You said above that you would like to use one side for the return and one side for the drain. The typical aquarium drains that operate by gravity will allow between 4-600 gph through a 1" hole. Of course, the return can only push as much as the drain can handle. Water running through the sump/Refugium at 4-600 gph works fine, but in order to provide coral with good circulation, an in-tank circulation pump would be required. If that is what is wanted, fine, but consider that if both bulkheads are used for drains, the return pumps full capacity can be utilized (1100 gph @ 5ft head)  and an in-tank powerhead might be avoided.
But wait,
There is a single drain design that could handle the full capacity of the return pump. The design utilizes the properties of siphoning. This would require a large skimmer box. Additionally it would require some paraphernalia to keep the siphon intact during a power outage. I would not recommend it.

So at this point, the main question might be, "Is it desirable to have the aquarium free of internal circulation pumps?" 
OR 
"If one side is used for the return, what circulation pump could provide adequate circulation and where should it be placed to provide maximum benefit?"

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic