Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish trap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
WaitForIt... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish trap
    Posted: July 22 2016 at 5:44pm
My coral beauty is on rampage. He has killed two chromis and is harassing almost every other fish in the tank. Does anyone have a fish trap that I could borrow? Or suggestions on how to catch him?

801-699-6263
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2016 at 6:54pm
If you run to the local petco or petsmart, you can get a critter keeper like this.Link

Squirt food down in it and when it goes to get it, close the lid. It works for me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2016 at 7:28pm
Thanks! I'll look into it. Am I making him aggressive by doing something wrong? He is the biggest fish in the tank right now
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 10:57pm

I am the keeper of one of the WMAS loaner fish traps.

There are quite a few things that can be done to help our pet fish be more peaceful, happier and better tank mates.

Number 1 on the list is definitely food. Here is something to think about. How do public aquariums get all those different fish to live peaceably together? They feed them generous amounts of different kinds of foods. These fish are always very fat. 

Competition for food is the major reason for aggression. Sometimes the aggression is more about perceived lack of food. Think about what the wild environment is like for a particular fish. What kind of food does it eat there? Research it and then try to provide more of that environment and it's associated food. This will comfort the fish and relieve the aggression. Does the fish eat algae or bugs? What kind of algae? What kind of bugs?

Number 2 on the list also has to do with the environment. As research is done and the specific nature of the wild environment comes more clearly into focus, look at the aquascape for a particular fish. Does it live in open water eating plankton, small or large fish. Does it live in shallow rocky areas and graze on algae all day? Or does it live in a rubble zone where bugs are plentiful because of all the protective spaces between rocks? Does it live in a grassy or thick macroalgae growth where other types of bugs find refuge?

Along with the environment is depth. What depth does the fish come from? Depth changes everything. Not only is lighting drastically different at depth, but different foods grow at 5 feet compared to 60 feet depth.

Please feel free to post a pic and provide some basic info on your tank so that we may provide some real time advice on how to modify it to help the fish feel more comfortable.

Number 3 on my list would be the tank mates and roommates. Some fish feel more threatened, or competitive, or aggressive around certain other fish.

Why Roommates? Is there clutter on top of the tank (shadows -> shark attack!) and surrounding it. Maybe there is a lot of foot traffic or a child bangs on the glass constantly frightening the fish with sonic booms. Absence of these last things lends to a calm peaceful environment with happy fish. Smile

Number 4 is that the fish simply needs to be trained. I have said a lot about this many years ago in the thread linked below. This "fish training" is not simply theoretical. It is a well worn tool in my "bag of tricks."Wink  IMO, fish are about as intelligent as dogs. They can be conditioned to get along. http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34014

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 24 2016 at 4:00am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 11:12pm

I looked back a few months in your history of posts. I didn't see a pic of your tank but I did see a pic that gave me a hint of a reason for aggression in the Coral Beauty. I'm also curious about your reasoning for the removal of Stomatella Snails? I believe it would help us to help you if we could see a pic of the tank and if there is one, the Sump/Refugium.

Aloha  Hug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 7:44am
Hey mark. Thanks for the tips. I read through the linked post and I have been doing most of what you suggest as far as acclimation, feeding and using garlic oil. I would be interested in what you saw in the picture that gave you a hint, if you would share. In regards to the stomatellas, I love them and I'm not intending to rid my tank of them. I just have an over abundance of them and I know that other hobbyists would benefit from them. I will try to post some pictures of the current setup, which does include a refugium.
Thanks again.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 6:49pm

Okay, others may disagree but here is what I saw in this pic:

Mostly white sand and no detritus. There's nothing much there for the Coral Beauty Angelfish to eat. I would really need to see a full tank pic showing all the LR and aquascape to verify my hint and give some hopefully helpful advice.

It's actually a good thing to decrease the Stomatella population so there will be more soft algae gowth for the Coral Beauty to eat.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 9:16pm
Mark sometimes you are just to funny. No detritus
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 12:44am
You think I'm Clowning around? I'm actually quite serious. Ying Yang Detritus is very important to overall animal health and happiness. When we get a look at the full tank, I'll explain why.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 9:13am

Mark, that pic was from when the tank was set up brand new.  Trust me, now I have tons of detritus and my wife complains about dirty sand.  The fuge is growing bugs really well and the parameters of the water are on point.

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 9:25am
Off topic, but is that a Cadlights? If so, are you using a light tree or did you hang your light from the ceiling? I want to change to a T5 fixture...but the tank is set up so I cannot get behind it to drill in a light tree...and I'm afraid the brackets, like the ones used for Kessil, will not hold the weight of a T5 fixture. 
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 9:52am

Marcoss,

it is a cadlights tank.  I had the bracket custom made by a guy I work with.  it's made of 1" aluminum, welded together and I anchored it to the wall studs behind the tank.  I was nervous about hanging a 48" T5 from the ceiling, so I went that route instead.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 12:21pm
I'm sorry. I can't see what I need with all that blue. Please try using a flash or turn off the blue. Also, get closer and take left side and right side pics to provide more detail. Sorry to be so picky, but could we see a sideways shot of the Refugium area? Thanks.

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 26 2016 at 8:39pm
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 8:03am
Originally posted by WaitForIt... WaitForIt... wrote:

Marcoss,

it is a cadlights tank.  I had the bracket custom made by a guy I work with.  it's made of 1" aluminum, welded together and I anchored it to the wall studs behind the tank.  I was nervous about hanging a 48" T5 from the ceiling, so I went that route instead.

Valid concern and excellent idea. I'm going to reach out to a fabricator and see if they have any ideas about getting a stand behind the tank, without moving it.

Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 8:10am
I had mine put up after the tank was already full.  I just covered the top with a screen and blankets while I drilled into the wall and hung it up.  Feel free to come by and see it if you want extra ideas.  thanks!
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 10:55am
I'd love to! I will shoot you a PM one day. Thanks again!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 10:59am
Update?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 2:02pm
Angel is still a jerk, but there arent any more new fish to pick on.  it seems to be getting used to the presence of the fish trap, so hopefully i'll be able to pull it out soon.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 7:50pm
In a tank as large as that, I'm pretty confident we can find the way to reduce the aggressive behavior. I'd still like to see a pic that doesn't have the fuzzy blue glow. I'm not looking for anything here but to help you.

I was going to give you some suggestions about training, but I was expecting to talk about that when you had me come over after we texted last week.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 8:24am
If you can't get it out, here is a suggestion.  This is how I catch fish in my 400 gallon 8 foot long tank and it works like a charm. 

Go to Home Depot and grab some of the egg crate stuff out of the lighting section.  Cut 2 pieces and angle them into each corner (so it's a triangle). Then take the egg crate and angle them out a little bit. For some reason when you scare the fish with a net, they always run into the corners of the tank.  Then as soon as they go behind the egg crate in the corner, push the egg crate back and trap him.  

Another way to do it is take maybe 1 section of rock out and stick a giant egg crate piece in so you have 10 or 20% of the tank isolated.  You can almost always scare it to the smaller side of the tank opposite side of the crate. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic