Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to reefing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SRT23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SRT23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to reefing
    Posted: July 30 2016 at 11:43pm
Hi everyone I'm new to reef tanks but have had freshwater planted tanks for years, right now I'm taking it slow and adding corals to my tank as my budget allows. Anyways, I've learned a lot by just reading the threads posted on the forum and it's helped me to see what I should do if certain situations arise.

Edited by SRT23 - July 30 2016 at 11:44pm
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 12:33am
Welcome! It's a great group of people and a lot of knowledge sharing. If you have any questions please feel free to post.

We also have a Facebook group by same name too.

We meet the first Thursday of each month at the Rose Garden Building in Sugarhouse Park. We have one this Thursday that's going to have a ton of information on inexpensive reef keeping with some great tips. Hope you can make it out to a meeting sometime. Make sure to say hello!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 12:49am
welcome!
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 9:54am
Welcome! We'd love to see a pic of your tank! If you need help posting pics, let me know.
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 11:04am
Welcome to the best club this side of Bear Lake no really we have an amazing group of people here. Post up and show us what you have.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 3:59pm
Welcome!
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
SRT23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SRT23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 5:55pm

This is the tank right now but I'm getting a 30 gallon with sump on Tuesday
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 6:05pm
Awesome! Thanks for the picture! Looking forward to seeing it's progress!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 10:56am

If you enjoy planted tanks, you may want to come to the meeting this Thursday to learn about how to use attractive macroalgae to beautify and filter a reef aquarium. Meeting details are on the home page.

Also, those HOB filters on both sides of the tank can be eliminated to make the aquarium less cluttered, yet be clean and beautiful inside.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 11:34am
Welcome!
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
SRT23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SRT23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 11:52am
I'm working on a sump so I won't need those soon
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 5:21pm
That's not exactly what I meant. I meant that those are not even necessary right now on that tank. You will find that, because of my experience,  I have a different view of the hobby than most hobbyists. Even though I was the first in Utah to employ a RDP Refugium as a sump(1996), I have developed ways to make even sump-less tanks look beautiful. I invite you to come to the meeting.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 9:06pm
Mark has a great way to do tanks (and he's humble about it too ) if you like a certain style of tank. He has some great ways to keep things budget friendly and is always ready to help. However, before you make big decisions on tank stuff, I would suggest looking at different tanks and find a style that you like and then talk to the person and find out what they do to get their tank like that. You'll find people are always helpful and willing to talk about their tank and help out a fellow hobbyist! My wife always teases me that when I go to get a frag from someone, I'm there for an HR talking to them about their tank. I suggest this because some things once started are hard to reverse. For example, there are some macro algaes that when put in the display are hard to get back out completely. If you want an sps tank in the future, you're most likely not going to want macro in the display.

So basically, find out want you like and want to set up before jumping in.
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 9:19pm
As so eloquently stated their are many ways to have a healthy tank. Visit other reefers and pick their brains. Unlike some I believe in testing parameters often, I believe if you see a problem you're already 5 steps behind. I have a SPS dominant tank, nem tank and my wife's zoa/softie tank. We are here to help ask questions and help others when you can.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 3:53am
I very much agree with checking out other peoples tanks. That's one of the reasons we began the annual Reef Tour. Smile Back in the days when the WMAS was new, before the days of the internet, I would ask to visit every new club member to see their tanks and pick their brains on how and why they were doing things. We learn a lot from each other.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 9:22am
Reef tour, just in case you haven't seen it on the board yet, is once a year, the club puts on an open house tour where you can go around and see people's tanks. It's like parade of homes, but for tanks. Like Mark says, it's an awesome chance to see a bunch of tanks in 1 day. It's also great to meet fellow reefers and put some faces behind the avatars!

Edited by Hogie - August 02 2016 at 9:25am
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 9:49am
You can PM most members (especially longer term) and ask to see their tank and they will most likely let you.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
SRT23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SRT23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 11:28am
I wish i could go to the event but i work from 3pm to 10pm so there's no way I can make it. But if i have any questions I'll post it here. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2016 at 7:34pm
Welcome to the addiction. Im always willing to help and give advice.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic