Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

removing palys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WaitForIt... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: removing palys
    Posted: August 09 2016 at 10:13am
Horror stories abound about removing green palys from a tank.  I would love to know what other people do to keep these guys under control.  I have a section on a shelf rock that has maybe 20 heads on it.  There isn't anything else on the shelf right now that would inhibit them from growing out uncontrollably.  How do i limit their growth or remove the excess without compromising my rockscape?  Can i remove them in-tank?  Can palytoxin hurt fish and coral?  I dont want any collateral damage.  Any ideas or help is welcome, I am just interested in how people control these fast-growers.

thanks!
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 3:02pm
I would take the rock out and pressure wash it.  I know a lot of people like them, but I don't and they will take over everything with time.  Ive seen them cover people's glass, even.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 3:33pm
I use a shot needle and inject vinegar or Kalwasser paste into the base of the stem and that will usually take care of individual polyps. Some times I have to do it more than once to finish the job but it works. The toxin shouldn't be an issue unless you have a very small tank. Running carbon will also remove the toxin from the water and prevent problems.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2016 at 8:07am
thanks!  Will pressure washing affect the other bugs and good stuff living in the rock?  can it go right back in the tank once thats done?
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2016 at 8:16am
Yes, pressure washing will kill most all of the bugs. The combination of exposing the rock to the dry air and spraying it at high pressure with chlorinated tap water is pretty harsh.

If your pressure washer has never been used with soap of any kind then you can just rinse the rock in RO/DI water when done and place it back in the tank.

If you have ever used soap in the pressure washer then I would soak the rock in a bucket of fresh salt water with a powerhead and carbon for a few days before returning it to the tank.

Edited by Krazie4Acans - August 10 2016 at 8:16am
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2016 at 9:35am
that sounds like a good plan.  i'll soak it regardless.  thanks!
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2016 at 6:14pm
Geoff, great meeting you man!
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 10:25am
Thanks Marcos, you too!  Your stuff looks amazing and i cant wait until i come down for some more!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic