Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ready for COC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shane849 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shane849 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ready for COC
    Posted: August 10 2016 at 8:15pm

Hello Everyone,

So I finally got my 29G biocube up and running. I have read a lot of post on here about what to add for a COC but my question is, would it be better to go to my LFS (Aquatic Dreams) or order from online. Any feedback would be great. Also any more feed back on a good combination for my COC would be great.

Thanks,

Shane

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2016 at 8:27pm
I'd go to your LFS; it'll give you a chance to see all kinds of cool stuff and be inspired by other hobbyist, and be amongst peers. Buying online may save you $ but there is a risk of loss, waiting, and more.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
shane849 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shane849 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2016 at 8:31pm
very good point. Thanks for the fast response. Any pointers on what type and how many to use?
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2016 at 8:37pm
Honestly- I'm not the best to answer that. I've always bought used rock with lots of food for a CUC to eat. How new is your tank? There are calculators online but if your tank is new you may want to start adding slowly so your crew doesn't starve!
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2016 at 1:59am
I'd suggest 10-15 snails and as many crabs... blue leg and red leg hermits do well. A mix of snails (cerith, nerite, etc) are the first bit to help. I would stay away from any sand sifting crew since there's nothing in your sand to eat. A peppermint shrimp, coral banded or cleaner shrimp would be a decent addition also. I wouldn't suggest any stars as they would probably starve quickly in a new tank.
shane849 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shane849 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2016 at 2:03pm
Thanks for the advice. With my tank running for only 14 days now should i add all 20 at once or just start With half so they dont starve?
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2016 at 3:33pm
With the tank running only 14 days, depending on how it was set up makes a big difference. So, a few questions:

1. What kind of rock did you use (dry rock [ordered from like BRS], live rock [got from a pet store and was wet and has stayed wet], or dead rock [which is old live rock that has dried out])?

2. Did you buy a new tank or by a tank that was already set up and running?

3. Have you done any testing for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? If so, what are the readings? (that will help us know where in the cycling the tank is)

4. Can we see a pic of the set up?

I love setting up a new tank and am glad to help. I noticed you joined back in 2010 but just moved to Layton and are setting up this one. Is this your 2nd tank?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic