Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cutting acrylic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cutting acrylic
    Posted: September 07 2005 at 9:29am
I'm building my own sump out of acrylic, a tiny one, about 11"x11".  I  figure a small one is better than none at all.

So here is my question.  I already have the acrylic, some weldon 16, and a bunch of clamps and vise's to hold it square during curing..
but I don't have anything to cut straight with.  I have a scroll saw, and thats about it.

I need to cut pretty straight lines I hear if I want it to work correctly.

Is there anything out there that is cheap that cuts decent?  I don't have the room or money for a band saw or jig saw, unless it was a tiny one.  can I just cut it with the scroll and sand it down flat?

any ideas?

thanks guys
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 10:03am

Where are you?  Many of us have table saws that you could borrow to cut it out in no time (mine's available, just bring down the acrylic if you are close).

Fax

Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 12:02pm
Score and Snap... Tool is ~$5 at Home Depot.

Use a straight edge, Score it Twice, Place it on the edge of a table and Snap.

Works great on thin acrylic, and your sump is small so you should be using a
thin material. I made my little pico using this method.
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 1:00pm
well I'm using 1/4 inch acrylic, and I was told by the guy at regional that it can crack and chip if you score 1/4 inch.  I might try that method still however.

I live in logan so I don't know if it'd be easy to make a trip down to cut it with gas prices and my school schedule and whatnot, but maybe I could make it down sometime
RockStarFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 1:17pm
If you can get some kind of steight edge level or a T squareand use a couple of those clamps to hold it in place wile you cut it . make sure that you use the safty plate to  run along the steight edge.If I knew how to draw pics on here i would illistrate.
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 1:42pm
i'm in ogden and will have my table saw out this weekend, if you want to swing by and cut your acrylic.
reydavid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reydavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 4:20pm
I'm in Park City. If you're close you can use mine any time.
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 4:36pm
that's pretty thick material for your application, but atleast it will be strong
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 8:15pm
Ive always had Regional Supply do it for me for like $5. Maybe you could just take your acrylic in and they would do it for you.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 10:39pm
I wonder if they have a shop on campus that would either let your use some equipment or make a few quick cuts for you.
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 1:42am
Originally posted by wsinbad1 wsinbad1 wrote:

I wonder if they have a shop on campus that would either let your use some equipment or make a few quick cuts for you.

very good idea, I didn't even think of that.  I'm sure they have something around.

I'll stop by the tech building between classes tomorrow and see if there is anything like that around.

thanks for all the offers on the saws everyone, if i come down before finding a solution to this I'll probably be giving you a call
reDive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reDive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 8:07pm

I want a sheet of lexan or acrylic with one toothed edge for an overflow in a sump. I lack the technology to do it myself. Does regional supply do cutting like this?

Thanks,

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic