Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just bought a 210 gallon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just bought a 210 gallon!
    Posted: September 05 2016 at 8:34am
I just got back into this incredible hobby, with my old tank this forum was my #1 resource for help.   I used to have a 75 gallon and sold it in hopes to upgrade about two years ago and I FINALLY decided to jump in with both feet and bought a 210 gallon yesterday!
This 210 gallon had been taken down for about 4 weeks and came with about 100k of dried rock and 150lb of sand. It also came with a Life Reef LF1-200 sump and UV sterilizer which I have absolutely no idea how to plumb so if anyone has a plumbing diagram with dual overflows for it I would really appreciate it if you could share that with me.
I believe I'll need to get a little more live sand and double my live rock. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get my system to start cycling and come to life the fastest? I also bought an additional acrylic tank to use as a refugium so hopefully that will help everything as well.
Any help is greatly appreciated, I'll post some pictures as soon as I have her setup.

Edited by ElwoodUT - September 05 2016 at 8:35am
I have not failed....I have just found 1000 ways that don't work.

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 8:46am
Great to see you getting back.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 11:24am
Dude, welcome back!   That's the same tank I have. It sounds like you should just have someone come over and help with getting you set up. I would recommend making sure you like the sand, position of tank and maybe get those rocks pressure washer or soaked in acid. A real clean, fresh start is nice. Also, go with a herbie drain.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 11:28am
Welcome!  210 is a great size!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 1:12pm
If your rock is dead, you can cycle a lot faster if you cleanse it. At a minimum, give it a good pressure washing and then cycle it in a separate container rather than your main tank.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 8:01pm
Big tank. Awesome! It should be fun.
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 8:34pm
Thanks everyone! My wife and I are really excited about getting it started. Some of the rock seems pretty fragile to hit with my pressure washer, what acid do you use for soaking and how long?

I'll take a look into the Herbie Drain.   I'm hoping I can figure it all out soon. If I can get her up and going I hope to start stocking it through the winter.

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 9:12pm
You might consider hydrogen peroxide for a short time but then just let it cycle. I'd have to look at it before I could tell you what I would do. Just trying to give you options.
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 5:55am

I'll take a few pictures of the rock tonight and post it so you can get somewhat of a feel for what I have going on.

Why should I cycle it in a separate container rather than in my main tank?

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 8:10am
It might have a lot of junk in it that you want to keep out of your tank. I would keep it separate from most of your other rock until you can test the water. It can be in your main tank, if you want to wait longer before you get other rock. Just my two cents.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 8:44am
Welcome back. Thumbs Up

Originally posted by ElwoodUT ElwoodUT wrote:

what acid do you use for soaking and how long?  
See the Reefkeeping Tips linked below in my sig line for that info on how to handle old dead LR. I have tried to include a bunch of other tips regarding setup, saving money on maintenance and how to avoid common issues.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 9:26am
Welcome back!
220 G SPS Display.

relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 7:08pm
Welcome back. I have the same tank and did over the back return so ai could use all the 4 pipes through the bottom for drains.

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73961&PN=1&title=210-mixed-reef-build

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 9:34pm
relegthg/Glenn is a hobbyist that makes very intelligent decisions. Before setting up his first tank, he picked the brains of well experienced hobbyists about best setups. He then put it all together to make it work the best for his systems. More hobbyists ought to be like that.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by ElwoodUT ElwoodUT wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get my system to start cycling and come to life the fastest?  
You were here back in 2013. You already read the thread linked below, right?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 7:38am
Read through the entire forum again haha.   I don't want to make the same mistakes I made last time haha.
I've been thinking about doing an over the back return so I can do a better drain system.   The tank came with powered rotating returns so I think it will be pretty easy to do this.   
I'm also looking for an additional 100lb of live rock to get the tank started.   Should I put the live rock in and then slowly add the 100lb of dead rock? I just don't want to have to completely rework my rockscaping but there may be no way around this.
I still need to rip out some carpet in the room behind my tank and put tile in since I'm going to plumb everything through the wall so I have a little time to keep researching.
Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 7:53am
It's a new tank with nothing in it so I would put the live and dead rock in all at the same time and let it cure as part of the setup. You'll want to keep an eye on your Nitrates and Phosphates as that dead rock could leach those into the system.

Do you know the history of the dead rock? I have run into a few issues with dead rock that came from a tank that was treated with chemicals and heavy metals (seams to happen a lot just before people shut tanks down) that get absorbed into the rock and then leach back out once put into a new system. Just pay close attention and keep your eyes open for any issues.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 12:11pm

The guy that owned the tank before me was only running Phosguard in one of the sump filters and that is it.  He sent me a picture of the tank right before he tore it down and everything looked beautiful, there was no algae and he didn't have any corals left on any of the rocks so I'm hoping they wont leach too much into the tank.

I do have several black storage bins that I could load up with the live rock with a couple pumps and set my lights over them to try to bring the rocks back before I even get my tank setup but I don't have access to any live water to put in with them.  I could also get some calurpa or chaeto to throw in there to try to help with the nitrates.  Will it be beneficial even if I don't use live water? 

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 12:34pm
I would just put them in the tank and let them cure during the cycle.

Live water has very low levels of any beneficial bacteria. A cup or two of live sand from an established tank would be much more beneficial.

Some macro algae in the sump would be a good thing.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 12:56pm
I'd try to get the dead rock cycled first, so that when new rock is added, the old rock only helps you get the most out of the new rock. If the old rock is truely dead, you only want to grow the bio filter and that can be done in any saltwater with no light.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic