Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just bought a 210 gallon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by relethg relethg wrote:

Welcome back. I have the same tank and did over the back return so ai could use all the 4 pipes through the bottom for drains.

Relethg,

I finally got a chance to read through your entire thread from setting up your 210.  It was very informational, I will probably use my 1" drain for my Kirbie drain and use the 3/4" as the emergency.  I will also need to open up the holes in my overflows, not sure if I'll cut them out completely like yours or if I'll just widen each slot with a dremel.

I will stick with the dual returns routing them over the back and supplement flow with 2 powerheads.

I believe I'll stick with the canopy on mine and deal with the access issues.  If I have to remove it once in a while for major work then so be it.

I still need to setup my RO/mixing station but I don't have quite as much room as you.  Hopefully I can set something up that is similar but on a smaller scale.

Is there anything that you would do differently with your plumbing now that your tank has been up and running for a year and a half?  I would love to see some current pictures!

Edited by ElwoodUT - September 08 2016 at 2:14pm
I have not failed....I have just found 1000 ways that don't work.

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
jeffreyg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffreyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 7:26pm
Do you have photos?
JeffreyG
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 9:58pm

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 9:59pm

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 8:34am
Oh my!
Now I see what's going on, what you have to deal with.
It will definitely be good for me to do an on site consultation.
I'll do my best to help you make it simpler and functional.
A leak is bad but a flood is worse and if our animals aren't doing well I feel lousy.
See ya tomorrow. 
Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
p_hefe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p_hefe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 5:27pm
Congratulations. That's a beautiful setup.   I'm excited to watch the progress.   Keep on with the updates.
You don't quit playing because you grow old. You grow old because you quit playing.
37g, 60g, 75g, 120g all reef
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 10:11am

Thanks! Still pushing on with the setup for now, it is very slow but I am making progress!

I have 6 30 gallon bins full of dead rock that's "cooking" and will soon be swapped over salt water to start cycling until I get water in the main tank.  I also won 40lb of rock at Reef Fest that looks amazing!  I have another bin down there that has live rock in it that was covered in majano but I have been plucking them 1 by 1 with pliers and tweezers and haven't found one on any of the rocks for a few days now so hopefully this approach is working!

My RODI unit is suppose to arrive today so I will get it installed and hopefully do a good water change on all of the rock tomorrow night when I have some good water instead of begging for or buying RO water.

I am almost done with all the plumbing for the tank but I need to find a 2.75" and 1.75" hole saw to drill bulkheads in the refugium.  I've never drilled acrylic before but I think I can figure it out.

Hopefully by this weekend I will be rinsing the sand that came with the tank and putting it plus the live sand I won at Reef Fest in the tank.  I think I will fill the tank about half way and then start placing all the rock.  I am going to try to pre plan the rock-scaping a little and pre assembling some of them but I don't want to keep any of the live rock out of the water for too long so we'll see how that goes.

There is also a very strange pink anemone that stowed away on the live rock.  I decided to leave it there for now since I don't think it would be a nuisance.  I'll have to try to get a picture of it to post.

If anyone has any advise on any of this please let me know.  I think I'm covering all my bases but I've never built a tank anywhere near this big or complex.

Edited by ElwoodUT - September 26 2016 at 11:38am

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 6:32pm

Filled it with water and rock last night!

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 6:48pm
Looking good
90 gallon mixed reef
p_hefe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p_hefe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 6:51pm
Exciting!
You don't quit playing because you grow old. You grow old because you quit playing.
37g, 60g, 75g, 120g all reef
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic