Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I have a tank!!... again.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have a tank!!... again.
    Posted: September 05 2016 at 7:32pm
I've finished school and I have a job. And the kids allow me some free time here and there. So I'm returning to the hobby.
I bought and drilled a 40 gallon breeder (I found out the hard way that the first one I picked up had a tempered bottom). I have a 29 gallon sump, mainly for a refugium.
So far I have water, sand, and live rock. And I think I have the equipment to run it. Although some of it is old and questionable.

Edited by MadReefer - September 05 2016 at 10:22pm
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 7:40pm
Welcome back!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 9:04am
Welcome back. Thumbs Up Looks like you're off to a nice (re)start.

By your tone I believe you appreciate any help you can get, so here's a Reefkeeping Tip:
LED light is extremely bright in a way our eyes cannot see. I can post some pics to illustrate this if you're interested. To avoid sunburning the animals, I would raise that fixture 5-10 inches. This will also illuminate the sides that, right now, are noticeably dark in that pic.

You may already know this, but "light acclimation" for coral involves using the dimming knobs on that black box LED fixture. Start at about 10% power and raise it ~5% every week, all the while watching the coral for delayed signs of stress. Also, placing coral on the sand and moving them up step by step is another way to acclimate them to the light.

Snails, snails and snails. Don't forget the herbivores to keep the display free of nuisance algae. Other tips are in the link in my sig line. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
"Keep your hands inside the tank and enjoy the ride."

P.S.
Congrats on graduation. Beer

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 06 2016 at 9:07am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 1:59pm
Thanks, Mark. This lighting was just for the picture. At this time, because I'm cycling live rock, I have the moon lights on for a few hours and about 20% of the blue light on for a couple hours, and that is it. When it is ready to add livestock, I will increase the lighting slowly over time. I might raise it more as well. This light turned out to be brighter than I expected and I've already changed the height once.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 2:30pm
Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 4:15pm
Welcome back! as for the old equipment... if it works, it's not broken ;) lol
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 6:44pm
Thanks phys and Krazie.
Mark, I moved up the light and I think I like it better. A little more wasted light, but it is not bad at all. If it turns out to not be enough, I can add some 10w LEDs I have around. Check it out.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 8:13am
Nice and welcome!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic