Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clownfish Aggression?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clownfish Aggression?
    Posted: September 06 2016 at 12:21am
I'm picking up a second ocellaris and I'm wondering where to put him.   I have a 6 gal nano which currently has one ocellaris who has been there 5+ years and a small cuc. Over the years he has had 2 different tankmates. Originally, he was with a blue & yellow damsel for maybe a year and then a black clown goby for about 4 years. The goby went to the big fish tank in the sky 6 months ago. Mr. Clown never showed any aggression towards either tankmate. Should I be worried about adding a smaller clown?

The other option is to put the new fish into a 20 gal pseudo-reef that I have in my basement. Originally, it was a rock curing/seeding tank, but now I'm 3 months in and it has a couple of softies and a cuc all of which are doing great.

The only reason I prefer the nano is because then I'll see him daily, but if it's life or death, the basement tank will work until my 65 gal is ready.

What would you do?

Edited by superman1981 - September 06 2016 at 3:01pm
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 7:06pm
The 5 year Ocellaris in the tiny 6 gal tank will probably be aggressive toward a new clownfish, unless the new one is much larger than the old one. If it were me, I would put them both in the larger aquarium at the same time or get two new small clownfish for the 6 gal tank. When put in the larger tank, size of the new clownfish is immaterial.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 1:55am
you can put it in a clear box inside the 6 and see if any aggression comes from the established tank mate. If yes, then downstairs, if no, then try it.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 3:56pm
+1

A clear deli container with bridal veil netting in place of the lid (held on with an elastic) and a small rock or two inside to keep it from floating around is a useful and simple acclimation container.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 10:00pm
Great advice Mark & Phys. I'll have to try the container trick and see how it works out.
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic