Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving large tank. Help! :)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
paul.brandon83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul.brandon83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving large tank. Help! :)
    Posted: September 20 2016 at 10:39am
So I purchased a 150 gallon tank and will need to move it from Bluffdale to WVC. Does anyone have any tips or 'lessons learned' from moving a bigger tank?

Thank you!
150 Gallon Reef
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 1:12pm
I helped not long ago with a 150. The purchaser bought some suction cup handles at harbor freight and they helped a lot.
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 1:20pm

I moved a 125  multiple times. a 150 should only be a few lbs heavier.

a 125 was 177lbs.

I put it in a truck bed and  covered the end against the truck with a blanket.  didn't even strap it down, but drive slow.

do.not.drop.it.  

paul.brandon83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul.brandon83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 1:35pm
Thanks for the tips!!

Any others?
150 Gallon Reef
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 2:25pm
Stretch and have a lot of faith and focus, you can do it. 
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 2:47pm
Suction Cups with handles used for glass or glossy rock slabs are absolutely awesome. Thumbs Up Unfortunately, the ones at Harbor Freight can sometimes be crap. Test each one before purchase by sticking it to a smooth surface and putting your weight on it. The professional cups I've used can hold a man standing with one foot on each handle. Smile

Using Cups or not, five friends/neighbors makes it go fast and safe. One person for each corner and a rover, just in case someone starts to slip. 
Really?! Yeah, I know a 250 gal that had to be trashed because one of the four people dropped his corner.  Shocked

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 20 2016 at 2:55pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2016 at 2:01am
If you find someone strong enough, a 150 can be moved with two people if nothing is in it. 3 or 4 people is safer.

If there are overflows built in that cant be removed, put it on wood blocks. don't put any weight on the glass edges or you'll crack it or chip it. Don't carry it by the plastic parts and take your time! Lift with your legs ;)
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2016 at 5:51am

I just moved a 210 from Jackson, WY to Perry, UT.  I put 2X4s in the bed of the truck and then put a foam sleeping pad over top of them before placing the tank on them.  I figured it would help to absorb some of the impact from the bumps.

We were able to move it with two guys but it was a pain in the a** so I would suggest 4 but you'll have to have 2 guys strong enough when going through doorways.  Make sure you take bins and tape to hold them closed for all the equipment if you aren't loading it in a enclosed trailer.

You can never have enough tie downs and bungie cords!

Good Luck!

I have not failed....I have just found 1000 ways that don't work.

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic