Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFrag Grow Out Contest - Gauging Interest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Would you be interested in participating in a frag grow out contest?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [100.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frag Grow Out Contest - Gauging Interest
    Posted: September 20 2016 at 11:31pm
We are trying to see how many people would be interested in something like a frag grow out contest if the club were to put one together. This topic was brought up a year ago by Pilotx44 and it seemed to be a popular topic then, but we want to know how many people are sincerely interested. I know many people read the topics but don't reply so I made this a poll so you can just click yes if you would be interested.

The idea would be a friendly competition to see who could get a coral to grow the fastest and/or color up the most all while comparing the different techniques and equipment used. Most likely the frags would be purchased and picked up at a club meeting and you would either bring it back months later to a club meeting or we would have to come take pictures and measure (depends on the type of coral). We can work out more of the details if there are enough people interested. Let us know what you think, or just vote yes if this is something you would want to participate in.

Edited by PharmaSki - September 21 2016 at 12:23am
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
No, the blue lights at my house are not growing "pharmaceuticals"...
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2016 at 7:13pm
I would be very interested in participating as soon as I get my next build moving along.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2016 at 7:22pm
Be fun to see categories - led vs t5 or softies vs softies and sps vs sps. So much to be done here. So much to learn.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 9:34pm
Hey man, what's going on with this?
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 9:54pm
Currently in search of the right coral. Think we might have it. Look for more details soon. In other words, planning is underway so get ready!
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 10:27pm
Will there be a variety?
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 11:04pm
The plan is to take a colony, frag it up, and see who can grow it out the fastest/best. Ultimately the goal would be for everyone to learn from and enjoy the contests enough to have different contests with different types of coral going at the same time. Not sure if that answers your question.
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 7:18am
I want to play in this game.

Fat
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 10:49am
id be in. 
CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 12:24pm
im in too.
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 1:23pm
Will it be SPS, LPS, NPS, or softie? Could we do maybe one of each? Or just maybe our choice of SPS or LPS?
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 3:26pm
This in Landon's gig and from what I've heard he's thought this through pretty well. I'll wait for him to explain it.

Fat
Churchtown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Churchtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 3:41pm
Sign me up
150 tall, lots of sps. Therapy for a troubled mind
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2016 at 9:21am
This first go around is the coral going to be something simple and easy to frag into even size pieces/equal polyps so that most everyone can have a go at it? If so, Zoanthid or GSP would be best, IMO. The other reason that a soft coral would be best is because the coral could be divided up, left unmounted and taken home with less worry about the shock that comes from fragging and moving into a new environment.

I'm okay with splitting the purchase price and paying my portion to be in this unique activity. Sharing what we each do to grow it is a great idea. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2016 at 9:51am
The colonyhas been acquired and will be fragged up this week and then given time to heal before the contest begins. The coral we got isn't a softy but is a good simpler coral but I won't say what it is just yet. The cost should be quite low (although it should cover the cost to keep the contest going). I'll let Landon fill in the rest. It is coming together!
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2016 at 10:18am
I would participate depending on what kind of coral it is. I think it'd be really fun
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2016 at 3:14pm
Any updates here?
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2016 at 3:17pm
Typing it up now. Stay tuned
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2016 at 3:17pm
Landon's going to make an update! I know he fragged last night.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2016 at 3:41pm
This is going to be interesting. It will be great if those participating can share techniques and perimeters with the rest of us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic