Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rinsing live (dead) sand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rinsing live (dead) sand
    Posted: September 27 2016 at 1:17pm
I thought the tank build was coming along pretty well unit it came to this.   I've rinsed one five gallon bucket full at least 15 times and the water still looks like milk.   I have about 10 more of these buckets worth.
Any tips on this? If I leave the hose in the bucket I keep losing sand so I have to fill the buck stirring the sand and then I wait a couple minutes for the sand to settle and dump.   Repeat, repeat, repeat.
I have not failed....I have just found 1000 ways that don't work.

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 1:40pm
If it is a very fine sand it is tougher to keep the sand at the bottom while suspending the nasties to flow over. A bigger container might help as I have used a 40gal tote before and found that to work better as the sand is generally heavier than the detritus and nasties.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 5:32pm
Ok got it! I filled the 5 gallon buckets 1/4 with sand and it seemed to do the trick.   Just going to be more trips but definitely working better!

Thanks!
I have not failed....I have just found 1000 ways that don't work.

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 10:56am
Glad you figured it out. 
I've described it in the Reefkeeping Tips, how to rinse the fine particle Oolitic sand (like you have) and how to keep it from making terribly cloudy water when setting up a new tank. See the link below.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic