Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gorgonian Propagating (branch type)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gorgonian Propagating (branch type)
    Posted: September 30 2002 at 6:58pm

Does anyone have any experience propping branching gorgs?  Do all types of branching gorgonians need to stay under water at all times?  If so that makes propping more of a challenge.  Can I take one long branch (9inches) and cut it into 9- one inches? 

Thanks for the input.

Kirk

Cell 801 860-7333
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2002 at 9:12am

Kahuna,

I don't think they need to stay under water.  You can take it out to propagate it.  Gorgonians don't have a solid calcium skeleton under the flesh, so it makes it a little tricky to propagate, because they don't always glue well.  I would say making a 9" into 3 or 4 cuttings rather than 9 would be better.  Just my $.02, hopefully someone else will have other ideas.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2002 at 10:34am

I have never heard of or seen a Gorgonian that you could not take out of the water.  In fact many are shipped without water.

Propagation is easy (at least in my opinion).  Althought they don't have a clacium skeleton like Adam mentioned they do have a semi-hard core.  If you strip the flesh from this core and super glue the core to a rock (a small hole helps) they almost always stay and rarely will die.  Most will open up shorty after they are placed back in the water.

Hope that helps.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2002 at 9:22pm

I remember reading somewhere reputable where it stated that gorgonians were damaged if exposed to air but I laughed when I saw that because I know that that is not true.  I have had a gorgonian just fall apart though, and I contribute that to shock.  I usally just throw my new corals in the tank once I get them home (even though I know that this is ill-advised) all of my corals have had no problem with this except I'm coming to realized the doom of that gorgonian was attributed to this practice.

I have never seen any gorgonian recoop from being cut at both ends.  From my experience they don't seem to grow unless one end has not been exposed and you only glue the other end that has been cut.  But that is just my tank and it may work well in other tanks.  In other words it seems to grow better with its natural pointed tip that it had when it was in the ocean. 

Its also a good idea to make sure that the base that you are glueing is exposing its skeleton, because what will happen is its skin will die and it will fall out of its secured spot that you glued it in.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic