Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stand question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stand question
    Posted: October 18 2016 at 6:52am

I recently took an old existing dresser and reinforced it with 2x4s. Pretty much built an entire structure within the dresser to hold a 46 gallon bow front. The question is the tank is 36 inches but the dresser is 34. We have an inch of over hang on each side. Is this safe to fill or should I find a way to extend the dressers top?

Thanks

getting fishy??
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2016 at 7:41am
That's hard to say. I assume that would leave the two outside ends without suppor and put all the weight on the two trim pieces running the length of the bottom? That would really concern me. I'd much rather have all the edges supported.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2016 at 7:50am
I would build an additional top for the dresser that is made of 3/4" plywood and had a 1x2 frame under it that would sit on the dresser top. That would transfer the rim weight (that's really where all the support for your tank needs to be) across the entire top of the dresser.

You really don't want any of the edges of a tank to hang over anything unsupported as that is where the tanks are designed to be supported.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2016 at 11:22am
Support it for sure!
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2016 at 1:24pm
agreed!
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 6:46am
Thanks guys. I had the same thought.
getting fishy??
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 9:15am
Rather than plywood, which can be warped, especially in 4' long pieces , I prefer to use melamine board. It's perfectly flat and the sealed surface protects from water damage.

Also, another point from my experience. In the case of this dresser, I would be concerned about the base on the floor being smaller than the aquarium on top. Most bow front tanks are generally tall, making this combination even more prone fall over. To be certain of my evaluation, I would want to see a pic of the stand with the aquarium sitting on it.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic