Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nature's Ocean Live Sand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nature's Ocean Live Sand
    Posted: October 19 2016 at 6:58am
I guess this is equipment... I didn't see anything else that fit, so I'll ask here.

I'm going to be adding Nature's Ocean to my tank (140 lbs of it).  I've read mixed reviews about pre-rinsing it.  According to the manufacturer, it shouldn't be rinsed and should be added directly to the tank.  They also say you don't have to cycle a tank used with this sand.  Yeah, I'm still going to give it a good cycle.  The majority of reviewers said to rinse it anyway, but others said that'll kill the 'good' stuff growing in it.

Anyway, reviewers were about 50/50 on those that still rinsed the sand and those that didn't.  I decided to follow a link on Nature's Ocean website to a show called Tanked that uses their sand, and in the episode I saw, they didn't rinse the sand or cycle the tank.  Unless they skipped that part during filming, it looks like they just dumped in the sand and added a bazillion large fish.

So my question... to rinse or not to rinse...
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 8:10am
I am unfamiliar with that brand, however, I would not personally rinse it if it was sold as live. There are manufacturers who sell dead and live versions of the same grain of sand. I also use live sand, and live rock, to start a system. Like you, I would let it go through a cycle because the sand is not enough to hold the fish over. Unless you add live rock, from another hobbyest, at the same time...

Tanked is a cool show...but I really hope they shoot an episode in a few months and go back to add the fish. Even if the fish survive, they probably had a crappy time. :(
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 9:34am
Thanks for the response.  I'll put it in un-rinsed and then just give it time to settle.
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 10:14am
That is my two cents :). In this hobby everyone has one.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic