Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ISO Laptop - Dell laptop being trashed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ISO Laptop - Dell laptop being trashed
    Posted: December 16 2016 at 8:44am
yes
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2016 at 12:55am
Still looking for one mark?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 9:50am
Thanks. Yes, my aunt can't work/is on a limited income so something less costly is definitely wanted.
Aloha
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 6:14am
Hey Mark - let me check my office today. I probably have a couple of used laptops, I'd sale cheap.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 5:18pm
There are a number of laptops available for around 200$ if money is an issue. Newegg, bestbuy, etc.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 5:12pm
Thanks everyone for your input. Assuming the motherboard needs to be replaced, I called my aunt Porcia to give her the bad news. "It's about $120" I said. She replied, "Oh, the motherboard has gone out before and been replaced." 
"Well," said I, "if that is the case, then I'd recommend trashing this laptop and looking for another."

Assuming my advice was good, anyone have a laptop for sale? She liked this one with its touch screen function. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 7:08am
That chip in the picture is the I/O control chip. It should not be making any noise. There is only one way to fix this issue (without some pretty high end equipment) and that is to replace the motherboard. Fairly easy to do but may not be cheap depending on where you can find a replacement one. Good news is that her data and files are probably intact so getting them off the hard drive should be pretty easy with the right equipment.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 3:51am
Its a Dell eh? Probably would be best to introduce it to a Samsung galaxy note 7. Probably dead but can't really tell... Does the bios not show up at all? Could be a bad power circuit or the cpu is toast... Thats what that little square is attached to.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 10:59pm
I have a 5lb hammer I use to tune my computer up.... you can borrow it if you like.......
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
christhjesus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christhjesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 10:26pm
Probably a bad Motherboard, might be cost effective to find one on eBay and swap it.
christhjesus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christhjesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 10:17pm
Run the hardware diagnostics by holding down the "Fn" key and then pressing the Power button. This will start the diagnostics and will emit beep codes.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 10:29am
It won't boot up and the screen is blank. The square chip near the center of the photo below makes a plink sound every 2 seconds or so. It's like Dell made it to do this as some kind of alert notification. Confused

Background
Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop sat around unused for many months because it stopped working after a phone call was made to a web page popup tech service phone number and remote work was done by a microsoft repair scam. (yeah, she knows now that it wasn't Microsoft and it was a bad move Embarrassed )

Repair attempts
Battery removed - no change
Power Button depressed for 15 seconds to discharge circuits - nothing changed
RAM chip removed - no change, still plinking
Hard Drive removed  - still plinking, still won't boot up, screen still blank

Ideas on how I could fix it?  This is for my aunt Porcia. She thanks you in advance.

Aloha,
Mark

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 06 2016 at 5:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic