Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Info on moving to new tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Info on moving to new tank
    Posted: December 27 2016 at 6:33pm
So I've been thinking about getting a different shaped tank already. I've had my current tank set up for a few months now. What are the steps I would need to take to transfer everything from my tank to the new tank? I was thinking of just buying more live sand instead of trying to transfer mine from the tank. I have plenty of live rock already, a few corals, 3 fish and clean up crew. Can this stuff just be transferred directly over? (Tanks hold same amount of water). Any info is greatly appreciated :)
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2016 at 7:05pm
If you end up reusing any of your sand rinse it out very very well or you will end up with hell of an algae bloom. No need to buy all new live sand just buy cheap dry sand and use a cup or two of your existing sand to seed it.

The live rock and everything is fine to just transfer straight into the new tank but i would recommend blasting it all with a turkey baster to clean out as much as the gunk as possible.

To avoid shocking corals/fish try to keep the water parameters in each tank the same... temp, salinity, ph.
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2016 at 7:26pm
Ok awesome, thank you for the quick reply!. Dry sand from anywhere specific? Meaning like Home Depot or something marine related? And parameters are good currently so will transferring everything be fine? My main concern was something weird like stirring up sand and causing some nitrate spike or something. So theoretically could the whole tank be swapped over same day?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2016 at 8:23pm
I have heard of people using playsand (like for a childs sandbox) from homedepot. I personally have only ever used the marine stuff sold in pet stores..

What i was saying is some of it will say "Live" sand and it will cost 10-20 bucks more than the dry sand. Who knows how long that wet sand has been sitting on the shelf, and odds are theres not much alive in there anymore.
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2016 at 8:31pm
Ok that makes sense I'll do a but of research on that. I don't mind the cost really. My sand is still fairly new is there a reason not to just move it all? I know here is probably some waste in it but I can't imagine much. I've only had the two fish for a few weeks now
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 1:06am
You are absolutely right. The current sand cannot be dirty enough to require rinsing. The crud that is in it, harbors the beginnings of a bacteria population that is definitely wanted and needed. Just move it like it is. In fact, because at this point the sand is just becoming live, discarding it would actually be wasteful and inefficient. Geek

The tank is so new you might as well move everything straight over in steps all at once. Sure there could be a pollution spike, but if the lights are left on for a few days, especially with a good clump of Macroalgae, the spike will be next to nothing.

I hope people don't mind that I'm always referring to the Reefkeeping Tips. Referring to the Tips is a good way to prevent the labor of "re-inventing the wheel". There is some very good discussion by old time hobbyists there, including, I believe, some excellent step by step instructions for moving established tanks. 

I believe this important tip is included there but just in case it isn't...When LR is transferred into a bucket underwater in the old tank and then emptied from the bucket underwater in the new tank, because it never touches air, its biofiltration ability never skips a beat. Of course, if the new tank is going into the same location as the old tank, an intermediate step is to place everything but the sand into tubs full of tank water and then slide the old tank over, move the new tank into position and transfer the sand. Then add some new water and some tank water from the tubs as the rock is moved out of the tubs into the new tank. Hope this makes sense.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 2:55pm
Oh i didnt realize your tank was that new. Yeah i would just add everything over... I would still have 10-20 gallons of freshly mixed water at same temp/salinity ready for tank transfer day.... in my experience a bit will be spilled or yucky or something will happen and you will be a few gallons short.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic