Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lighting schedule

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
WaitForIt... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lighting schedule
    Posted: January 03 2017 at 4:27pm

hey all, I need some help.  I am running an ATI six bulb dimmable fixture.  Bulbs are front to back- blue+, purple+, blue+, blue+, coral+, blue+.  I set the first channel to come on at 10am, ramping up to 60%.  Off at 8:30pm.  I set the second channel to come on at 1pm, ramping to 50%.  Off at 6pm.  The light is approximately 12 inches from the top of the water.  Growth has been good on softies and LPS, slow on my monti and non-existent on my SPS.  Last week, the birdsnest started bleaching and even my hydnophora started looking pissed.  Any ideas on lighting?  Tank parms are below:

Alk- 9.5

Calcium- 410

Mag- 1350

SG- 1.026

Nitrates- 0.0

Phos- 0.3

thanks!

It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2017 at 7:46pm
Feed more. Your tank could be too clean. You also might need more fish.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 5:18am
sps and montis need more light than the lps. maybe try acclimating to a higher light over the next few weeks. If they're brown and ugly, definitely a lighting issue. Parameters look good though. whats the temperature?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 8:12am
Yes, we assume it's within normal range 70-80, but what is the daily temperature? Has there been a significant rise or fall in temperature within the last few weeks?

You are correct that lighting is at issue for this tank. There may be other issues but let's work first on lighting. I like to analyse the details. Here are my analyses and my conclusions:
Originally posted by WaitForIt... WaitForIt... wrote:

set the first channel to come on at 10am, ramping up to 60%.  Off at 8:30pm. Growth has been...non-existent on my SPS. 
You didn't say which tubes are on the first channel. Assuming this first channel is actinic-blue light, it looks like the tank(also, assuming the tank is 75-120 gals) is getting approximately 8 hours of half intensity from three t5 tubes that are a foot above the water. This is way too little light for good growth and as you have indicated, is not even enough for survival of SPS coral. 

I recommend immediately increasing Channel 1 to 100% intensity. Also an immediate modification to have it go ON at 8AM, OFF at 9PM will probably start to save the coral. If you like, do an hour ramp-up and ramp-down. Dimming is a neat feature of that fixture, but not really necessary. The better feature, IMO, is having the two Channels. 

Remember, the equatorial sun shines on the wild reef for 12 hours every day. 
What is meant by "equatorial sun"? 
At or near the equator where coral live, the sun rises pretty much directly overhead every day, almost all year long. It's very bright. Also, SPS coral live in relatively shallow water where they receive almost the full intensity of the sun. Are the SPS coral at the top of your rock structure?

It's been a while since I posted the pics that demonstrate sunlight color and intensity at depth. See my next post for those revealing pieces of the "puzzle".

I set the second channel to come on at 1pm, ramping to 50%.  Off at 6pm.  The light is approximately 12 inches from the top of the water. 
That's less than 4 hours of half light! My recommendation is this Channel should be left as is for a week and then should be first modified to come ON at 10AM and OFF at 8PM. A week later increase intensity to 75% and then in another week (3 weeks from today) increase Ch 2 to 100%. These on and off times can, of course, be adjusted around your schedule, but the increased hours and intensity are crucial to tank health.

Now is the point where I would like to ask some questions:
What size is this tank?
How close is the tank to a window and which direction does that window face?
Why is the light fixture positioned a foot above the water? 
May we see a pic?
Is AC being used, how much and how often is it changed?
What method is being used to control PO4 levels?
How many Snails and how many Hermits are in the tank?

I know this is a lot of information, some seemingly bold recommendations and a lot of questions. It's all aimed at saving your coral. Discussion and questions are welcomed and encouraged. No question is too simple.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 04 2017 at 8:24am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 8:21am
Enjoy:

Now notice how quickly the water absorbs almost all but blue-actinic wavelengths/frequencies.

Photo Credits: Jacques Cousteau
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 8:27am
Geoff, hey man, for what its worth, I do not think its the lighting, all the way. 

I have a pretty sucessful SPS system, the one you see when you walk in, that runs 9 hours a day on just two bulbs, and 7 hours a day on the other 8. (10 bulbs overlap for 7 hours). They run at 100% since its a pretty low tech system, and I get great growth.

Also, I run a dimmable light on my frag system, and it only runs 8 hours a day (If you'd like, I can message you the light channels and periods). I hit a max of 60% for just a couple of hours and grow SPS in that system as well. I move SPS from system to system, and as long as they are properly acclimated to the light/hight, they do fine and continue to grow. The reason I don't hit 100% in a day is its a shallow tank, and I have racks with my SPS up high, and in the shadows/bottom of tank I have LPS. 

Just wanted to give my two cents on your lighting inquiry. 
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 8:27am
Thanks for all of the replies!  I have about 15 fish in there right now, and they always look hungry.  I think I err on the side of underfeeding, just to limit the potential of too much nutrients in the tank.  I was nervous that the lighting was too intense, that's why I had turned it down.  Mark, you're right about the bulbs on channel one.  I will increase this one over next week, up to 100%.  The average daily temp is 77 and is not in direct sight of any windows.  The DT is 125 gallons.
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 8:31am
Thanks Marcos.  Is the light too high from the water?  I researched articles and placement of lights recommended from the manufacturer.  that's how I reached the conclusion that 12" would suffice.  My tank is approximately 23" deep, so maybe more light is better?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 8:36am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 8:37am
having trouble uploading a pic of the tank.  i'll keep at it
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 8:43am
Geoff, there is a guy on this forum that rents out his PAR meter for really cheap. T5s are very accurate when it comes to using a PAR meter. That would give you a definite answer. Corals can be acclimated to just about any light though; I have mushrooms at the top of my tank, around 400 PAR, and they grow like crazy. Most would consider that an SPS mostly area. 

When you take a reading, you will have a general idea of how far your light is penetrating, etc. 

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 6:47pm
I run a 6 bulb over my 90 sps dominant with a little bit of everything else except leathers I use the same bulb combo as you. My schedule is 8a 2 x blue+ on and go off at 8pm. Other 4 bulbs of 2 x blue+ 1 coral 1 purple plus are on in conjunction with the other 2 blue+ from noon to 6p. I did figure out with help from Jeff that I needed to feed my corals more lots lots more lol. I would definitely increase your lights intensity and depending on your no3 and po4 I would add some coral feedings in to your weekly schedule. My lights are also 12" off the water.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 8:39pm
Thanks for bring this up Geoff. I love a good discussion.
I looked again at the detail regarding lighting duration and intensity compared to what others have indicated and I really think there's too little light over your 125. A six tube, t5 light fixture positioned a foot high, pretty much needs to be at 100% to provide ample light. Also, since there is no sunlight (even indirect sunlight is very powerful), I am confident with my lighting recommendations above.

Originally posted by Marcoss Marcoss wrote:

Geoff, hey man, for what its worth, I do not think its the lighting, all the way. 
I agree, so it would probably help solve the problem if we knew the answers to some other questions:

1. What type of food and how much is being fed, how often?
2. Are the SPS coral at the top of the rock structure?
3. May we see a pic? (a pic really says a lot)
4. Is AC being used, how much and how often is it changed? (IMO, Activated Carbon is a must for every reef aquarium.)
5. What method is being used to control PO4 levels?
6. How many Snails and how many Hermits are in the tank? (This question has nothing to do with saving the coral, but when light is increased to a more appropriate duration and intensity, more Snails will be needed to control the increased growth of algae.)

Regarding fixture height above the water, there is a principle of physics involved. The amount of light energy that reaches the water and travels to a coral is a function of distance. The more distance, the more the light spreads out and the less energy strikes any single point. Shortening the distance can make a big difference. I'd have to see the actual setup but lowering the light fixture to 4 inches above the water might come close to 50% more light reaching the coral.

Well, that's enough for me for tonight. I hope it made sense.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 04 2017 at 9:08pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 8:48am
Do you run both schedules at 100%?  I really like having my lighting that high off the water.  It cuts down on salt buildup on the underside of the lights and allows me to access the tank easier.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 8:57am

mark,

1. What type of food and how much is being fed, how often?  I feed a combination of LRS frozen and angel/butterfly frozen from San Francisco Bay.  I also clip seaweed every day for a rabbit and two tangs.

2. Are the SPS coral at the top of the rock structure? yes

3. May we see a pic? (a pic really says a lot) I can't figure out why I cant attach a pic.  i'll text you one today.

4. Is AC being used, how much and how often is it changed? I have a bag of AC in the sump that I change monthly.

5. What method is being used to control PO4 levels?  I have a refugium full of chaeto and some cool red macro that I cant name.

6. How many Snails and how many Hermits are in the tank?  I have 10 or so hermits with at least double that of nassarius, turbo, trochus, conch and stomatellas.  The turbos and stomatella snails constantly have babies, so at night the glass is covered with them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 8:58am

Do you run both schedules at 100%?  I really like having my lighting that high off the water.  It cuts down on salt buildup on the underside of the lights and allows me to access the tank easier.

sorry reefer.  this one is for you

Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 9:38am
Yes 100% 12 hours 2 blue+ and 6 hours adding in the other 4 bulbs blasting all 6 bulbs together. My struggle was to keep lps and zoas happy while keeping sps colored up and growing. Also remember excess nutrients in the water column reduce the par getting to the coral. Not that you have excess nutrients.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 9:59am
My phone is not a smart phone so please email the pic to [email protected] and, if it's okay with you, I'll post it here. Instead of entering my phone number, tap in my email address in the send text box on your phone.

[email protected]

The info/answers you gave make me pretty sure that the trouble is completely due to insufficient light.
More light will make your Tangs and Rabbitfish very happy too. They will be able to graze at their leisure on new algae. The trade-off is that algae will grow faster on the glass and all surfaces, so more Snails (no Nasarrius, cause they don't eat algae) will be needed to control the bloom. This is normal for a healthy reef. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049

P.S.
Rusty's Reefs, a great new LFS located directly across the street from The Aquarium, which closed last year, is an awesome place to buy Snails. Astrea, Margarita and Cerith are the best snails for reef aquariums.

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 05 2017 at 10:04am
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 4:39pm
Pic received and posted.
Do I assume correctly that this is the way it looks midday when both channels have ramped up but prior to increasing the intensity of either channel?

As Marcos said, a PAR meter is accurate in gauging the intensity of light energy emitted from fluorescent lights. Digital cameras record light in a very similar manner to PAR meters and even our eyes are also pretty good at comparing/judging the intensity of fluorescent light. To me, this image shows a dark tank so I believe Geoff's hunch about the lighting was right on. Thumbs Up

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 05 2017 at 4:53pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 4:48pm
yes, that's a bit of an old pic.  still fairly representative though.  That pic is before fish and much before any try at SPS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic