Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LF simple refugium light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
backwards32 View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LF simple refugium light
    Posted: January 10 2017 at 9:24am
looking for a simple LED refugium light. I like the look of the clamp on the side type light like the picture below. let me know if you have something similar.

Fish Food Direct
Great Food for half the price
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
p_hefe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p_hefe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 9:30am
I purchased a cheap clamp on desk lamp for $5 on amazon.   Then a grow bulb separately for about $10. It works great.
You don't quit playing because you grow old. You grow old because you quit playing.
37g, 75g both reef
WaitForIt... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 9:30am
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 11:15am
The value of the Home Depot Special is uncontested. It's been used for many years by many of the hobbyists here. Interesting that you would bring this up today. I posted this just last night for another hobbyist.

Wink The HD Special is so named because the clip-on cone reflector and the highest wattage "Daylight" color twist PC/CFL bulb (abt 30 Watt) can be purchased at a hardware store for about $17. Get the ordinary twist PC bulb, not the flood light and make sure it is the Daylight color because it is the best at growing Refugium algae."

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 5:53pm
The lighting over Macroalgae in a Refugium needs to be very bright and a broad spectrum that is more blue than yellow. 

Coincidentally, I needed to set up a Refugium today so I went to Home Depot.
The Aluminum Cone Reflector is just $8 
A 4-pack of 23 Watt (100W incandescent equivalent) Phillips brand "Daylight" color (6500 Kelvin) bulbs was less than $10

These bulbs are rated to last almost 5000 hours. Run 12 hours/day that's about 2 years . Going by that rating, I got 8 years of lighting for this client Refugium for just $18Big smile Of course the bulb will be switched out after a year or so, as they do lose intensity, so I'd have to say that $18 bought me about 5 years of lighting for this Refugium

Unfortunately Home Depot is hardly carrying any twist PC bulbs anymore. The other "daylight" color twist PC bulb they had, EcoSmart, was rated as 5000 Kelvin. That's too yellow. I also noticed that consumer lighting in general is switching over to LED's enclosed in bulbs. Not only are they more expensive but they are not the right color. Again, too yellow. So what if they last longer. Tongue

Here are a couple LED Refugium lights I have dealt with:

- Wavepoint Blade - 12 x 1 Watt 6500 Kelvin LED's. Price - $50
- Innovative Marine Skkye 6 x 3 Watt 8000 Kelvin LED fixture. Price - $129

Of those two, only the Skkye fixture rivals the light intensity of the HD Special. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 11 2017 at 6:00pm
twolow4law1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twolow4law1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 8:52pm
I have a brand new innovative marine magnafuge led light I'll sell you for 50.00.   It has never been opened I have 2. I use 1 on my tank. Call or text anytime 801-682-0477 anytime
60 gal rimless , 40 gal rimless
120 gal reef
HOOKED ON SALT WATER   801-682-0477
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 10:18pm
That's half the light energy (6 x 1 W LED's) as the Wavepoint Blade but, assuming the magnet can go underwater, if mounted on a clear space on the back sump of an AIO tank, just a few inches from the Macro, that would be a very effective light for that application.

I know I'm a crazy hobbyist, because I always look at the cost benefit ratio or in this case the $/Watt. 
Innovative Marine MagnaFuge - $50/6 Watts = $8.33/Watt
Innovative Marine Skkye - $129/18 Watts = $7.16/Watt
Finnex StingRay LED Clip - $26/4 Watts = $6.50/Watt
Wavepoint Blade - $50/12 Watts = $4.16/Watt
HD Special - $18/~18 Watts (similar energy as the Skkye) = $1/Watt
p_hefe suggests a fluorescent(?) that is probably in the $1/Watt range as well

This hobby does not have to be so expensive and, backwards32 did ask for a "simple refugium light", right? Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 11 2017 at 10:19pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 6:43am
Yes I am trading someone for some frozen food so the light I am getting is $0/watt. Haha thanks for the idea though mark.
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

This hobby does not have to be so expensive and, backwards32 did ask for a "simple refugium light", right? Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

I'm not sure when Webster changed the definition of simple to the cheapest. I'll have to research that.

Simple to me means: Easy to mount/remove, not a lot of parts, reliable and long lasting, No tools required.

I'm just going to play the devils advocate here for a minute on this as I think if Mark is going to explain why he goes with the cheapest option, I should also touch on why some people would not go that route. This is not disputing that the HD special works and will grow macro. However, I have seen a significant trend in this hobby toward systems where the sump and filtration areas are just as clean and tidy as the display. So aesthetics play a huge role in these setups. While the HD special may work, it is not a pretty look and is quite bulky. The other trend I see is to replace high voltage devices around our aquariums will lower voltage DC devices to reduce the risk of shock. I've found the squeeze clamp mount to be quite hard to get to hold in a reliable way with the plastic trim on most sumps (Whether it's a tank turned into a sump or a more expensive manufactured sump with top bracing). I also find the galvanized metal used in the squeeze clamp and adjustment arm to be less than ideal in an area where salt spray is almost always present.

So does it work? Yes.
Is it pretty? No
Is it risky to have a less than ideal mounting system holding a high voltage electrical appliance over a water filled tub? YES!
Will it rust and corrode quickly? Yes.
Is it UL listed for use in close proximity to water? No.
Is the light designed for the purpose at hand? No.
Is it easy to get? Yes.
Is it inexpensive (read this cheap)? Yes.

I'll see if I can find any reference to simple meaning the cheapest option. My quick google search returned zero results.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 7:46am
I am going to chime in here with the fact that Mitch asked for a simple LED refugium light and even posted a picture of the type of light he is looking for. I also agree that the cheapest way to do something is not necessarily the best way.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 9:38am
I wanted to illustrate my point a bit more. This is the picture Mark shared. Not a bad setup and I'm sure it works and does what is intended. It's probably not a focal point of your reef or something that draws as much attention as the display it's connected to.

My own version. As Adam will attest it is almost as cool to look at the sump as it is the display. I think he took more pictures of the sump while on the reef tour than he did the display.

Can you find the LED refugium light in my sump? It's the small black box between the skimmer and the reactor body. I'm pretty sure I could not fit an HD special in here and if I somehow found a way it would definitely detract from the enjoyment of looking down here.

Edited by Krazie4Acans - January 12 2017 at 9:41am
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 12:10pm
haha you guys are funny. There are many ways to skin a cat. I will admit I have in the past done the setup that mark is describing but as discussed was not happy with the look and functionality.

here is what I ended up going with and I feel is simple yet looks nice and I feel will grow some good algae.

to each there own I guess haha
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
solofish731 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solofish731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 12:48pm
INNOVATIVE MARINE MAGNAFUGE LED REFUGIUM LIGHT - 6500K MAGNET MACRO ALGAE GROWTH
65 gal reef tank
Hogie View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

My own version. As Adam will attest it is almost as cool to look at the sump as it is the display. I think he took more pictures of the sump while on the reef tour than he did the display.

Can you find the LED refugium light in my sump? It's the small black box between the skimmer and the reactor body. I'm pretty sure I could not fit an HD special in here and if I somehow found a way it would definitely detract from the enjoyment of looking down here.

Man, look at all those loose wires in the back...what a mess and how embarrassing...you better clean that thing up! Geez, some people are such slobs.   

Edited by Hogie - January 12 2017 at 5:07pm
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 5:27pm
I Did clean them up. You've seen how it looks Mr. Pot calling the kettle black. :)

Everyone's a critic. Lol

Edited by Krazie4Acans - January 12 2017 at 5:27pm
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 5:29pm
Good points above and good discussion. I agree with using what works for the application. I am coming from the angle that the Refugium will not be shown off to visitors, unless they ask.

Yes, the HD Special can be inconvenient to clip on. I have clipped it to plumbing and to parts of the stand. Other times I have discarded the clip and simply hung it by the cord. I've put grabber screws into the stand above the Refugium. It's a very light weight fixture so there is no electrical danger when hung by the cord. 

One important safety step for the HD Special is to use a Zip Tie to secure the clip and/or the cord so there is no risk of the light falling in the water. 

As far as corrosion, that's not a problem. The clip-on cone reflector is light weight aluminum. It lasts a long, long time. Like any Refugium light, salt spray needs to be cleaned off periodically.

Today there are so many more options available to us than when I got into the hobby. Back then almost everything was DIY. Even with all the options I still choose to consider the equipment that does the proper job at the lowest cost. 

The Refugium can be a critical part of tank filtration. I sometimes wonder if some hobbyists don't realize that if the lighting is bright enough, the algae should almost double every month or two.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

BTW, this was the entire system, the floating reef, with beautiful Blue Spot Ribbontail Ray and Batfish. Nobody cared what the Refugium looked like. LOL

Jaag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2017 at 5:46pm
I have a skkye 18w led I'd sell you cheap.
MadReefer View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2017 at 7:53pm
I've always used the HD special, except on my new tank. I wanted to get it completely out of the way and I didn't want to spend much, so I made one myself. It consists of one 10w cool white, three 3w blue, and two 3w red. It works really well and grows macro throughout the whole 29 gallon sump with exceptional growth in the center. It ended up being about $1/w.
I look at my sump often and love to see all the life in it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic