Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

40b sump build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 40b sump build
    Posted: January 12 2017 at 8:52am

I finally got my stuff to build my sump for the 75g tank/stand that I won at MWRF.

here is the design: (its hard to see)

The left side is the skimmer and filter sock, I have it at about 9" wide.

I then have the bubble trap that is 1" wide and the middle is 1.5"gap on the bottom.

The pump return is in the middle at 13" wide.

The right side as a 12" wide refugium that will T off the return and have a valve to control the flow.

What are the thoughts on those measurements?

Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 10:01am
Are you accounting for the thickness of the baffle materials in those measurements? The two outside baffles of you bubble trap can go outside your lines but the center baffle is going to hang over your line and make the space slightly smaller. I'm not sure if that matters or not.

Also the baffle on the right of the bubble trap is not really needed as the bubbles should be trapped in the left side and not make it to the return side. Do you have a reason for needing a 13" return area? That seams quite large and I'm sure you could use more space in the skimmer area.

Your baffle on the fuge side is tall compared to the bubble trap. Water spilling over that into the return area will splash and cause bubbles. Is that what you intended? You could do a bubble trap on it as well to prevent the splashing and noise.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 10:38am

Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Are you accounting for the thickness of the baffle materials in those measurements? The two outside baffles of you bubble trap can go outside your lines but the center baffle is going to hang over your line and make the space slightly smaller. I'm not sure if that matters or not.

Also the baffle on the right of the bubble trap is not really needed as the bubbles should be trapped in the left side and not make it to the return side. Do you have a reason for needing a 13" return area? That seams quite large and I'm sure you could use more space in the skimmer area.

Your baffle on the fuge side is tall compared to the bubble trap. Water spilling over that into the return area will splash and cause bubbles. Is that what you intended? You could do a bubble trap on it as well to prevent the splashing and noise.

I did not account for the thickness....I will now though. lol.

only reason for the return would be for extra stuff to put in the sump. I can give the skimmer and extra inch and scoot everything down.  the fuge noise and splashing is little concern I think, it actually has teeth on the top.

I bought the baffles from Melevs reef

http://www.melevsreef.com/node/53

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 12:34pm
Does the skimmer area give you room so that if your skimmer overflows it all stays in the sump?

Melev makes great stuff. His baffles do have teeth on top. Great for helping with snail control, bad for being quiet and reducing splash (think about the overflow and the noise that they make with water going through teeth) compared to an over the entire top edge type. The way you have it will probably work as well it might just work a little better or be less mess in the long term if you tweak it a little.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 3:49pm

Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Does the skimmer area give you room so that if your skimmer overflows it all stays in the sump?

Melev makes great stuff. His baffles do have teeth on top. Great for helping with snail control, bad for being quiet and reducing splash (think about the overflow and the noise that they make with water going through teeth) compared to an over the entire top edge type. The way you have it will probably work as well it might just work a little better or be less mess in the long term if you tweak it a little.

The skimmer does have enough room.  Even where it sits now, it would flow into the sump, giving it an extra inch would just allow more volume in that chamber.  Ill get a picture with all the stuff in it too.

I was hoping being able to control the flow in the fuge and having only a 2"ish drop it would be ok.   We will see.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 7:33pm
here is the collection cup location:

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 9:47pm
That looks tight to me but it would probably still work. Is the entire cup above the rim of the sump?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 10:13pm
No its not.

Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 10:24pm
A 2" drop will make some serious waterfall noise. Depending on how tall you make the bubble trap you can raise the skimmer up for proper height. I always wonder in these type of setups if there is a notable increase in nutrients in the water as what flows to the refugium will remove such a small amount or if in the long run its better. My return is only 5" as I made my first chamber the big chamber for all equipment add ons.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 10:24pm
So your baffle height is 9 inches. What is the operating height for that skimmer? Will it be sitting higher than that? If it is then I would give your skimmer more room.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Reefer4Ever Reefer4Ever wrote:

A 2" drop will make some serious waterfall noise. Depending on how tall you make the bubble trap you can raise the skimmer up for proper height. I always wonder in these type of setups if there is a notable increase in nutrients in the water as what flows to the refugium will remove such a small amount or if in the long run its better. My return is only 5" as I made my first chamber the big chamber for all equipment add ons.

It seems to be very popular nowadays.   I was thinking of having add ons in the return, is it better to have them in chamber 1? If thats the case ill slide the
trap down 5" and have much more room.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 7:10am
Quote It seems to be very popular nowadays.   I was thinking of having add ons in the return, is it better to have them in chamber 1? If thats the case ill slide the
trap down 5" and have much more room.

I generally try to keep the return area of my sump for cleaned filtered water and introduction of dosing elements. I want all filtration to be complete prior to the water reaching that final chamber. This helps reduce detritus buildup in this area and makes it very easy to quickly see if some foreign object has made it through the sump and is in danger of being sucked into the return pump and either stopping the pump or damaging it.

The only exception I can think of to this would be if you were running a bio-denitrator or are carbon dosing as those things you would want introduced back into the sump prior to and as close to the skimmer intake as possible.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 4:38am
I was just thinking the same as Krazie on the return area. If you have it in the middle, you allow more water to potentially be filtered by the skimmer before being pulled out. Most sump designs have a progressive filter setup, one after another, so the water can be cleaned more and more as it goes through the sump. Having the refugium on the next chamber to the return maaaay introduce some unwanted algae bits from being caught up in the propeller. Maybe make a 4 chamber design?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic